Debian is slow with the cinnamon desktop environment

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by FelixT1, Apr 2, 2017.

1. FelixT1

FelixT1 Bit poster

So, I just did a fresh install of Debian using Parallels Desktop 12 Version 12.1.3 (41532). I used the default installation settings and installed Parallels tools without much problems. Sadly, the VM is really sluggish.
    For example, the simple task of navigating through the application menu is really slow. When I hover over the sub-menus, it takes a good second before the menu updates. I also run debian on an old super slow pc and it is a lot more responsive.
    I'm currently on a new macbook pro with touch bar and tried pretty much every ram/cpu/gpu configuration in the vm settings.
    One thing to note is that I am not using the debian auto-installer given by Parallels. I tried it and it was a lot smoother than my current install but I didn't like it because it was a bit too pre-configured which gave me some problems.

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Please, send us problem report and post its id here: make VM window active and in its Mac menu bar go to Help -> Send Technical Data.

3. FelixT1

FelixT1 Bit poster

There you go : 169666939 . I'm not expecting the same speed as if it was running directly on my machine but as I said, I'm able to run this on machines with worse specs than some of the settings I tried and it usually runs super smoothly.

4. rkulikov

5. FelixT1

FelixT1 Bit poster

Nope, that's not fixing it. To see if I was just being picky or if there really was a problem, I just completely reinstalled Parallels pre-configured Debian. With absolutely ridiculous specs, the machine is 100 times smoother than my install with the official, stock Debian iso. As a sidenote, I experienced the exact same thing with a regular install of linux mint on Parallels.

Update :
    I'm also getting a weird error at bootup : ACPI Exception : AE_NOT_FOUND, Evaluating_PRS (20160831/pci_link-176)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  6. rkulikov

> Nope, that's not fixing it.
    Can you please send us one more problem report when provided workaround is enabled? Don't forget to post report id here.

> I just completely reinstalled Parallels pre-configured Debian
    Just to be precise: we provide virtual appliance with stable Debian 8 while you're trying your own installation of Debian 9 RC.

> With absolutely ridiculous specs
    What do you actually mean saying "ridiculous specs"? What's wrong with them from your point?

7. FelixT1

FelixT1 Bit poster

ID with the workaround enabled : 170195143

Yeah, I do get that what Parallels provides a nice stable version of Debian 8, but the difference in smoothness is enormous and I'm sure that my installation should be running with a smoothness that is much closer to your custom installation than what it is now. I've tried my own installation of mint, debian stable and debian testing with the exact same result.

As for the "ridiculous specs", I meant that, compared to what I'm running on my debian installation, the pre-configured version of debian runs on specs which are super low. As a note on that, I tried running my custom installation with the exact same specs as the pre-configured one and got results which were even worst.

Thanks for your help BTW