Default printer preferences for redirected printers

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by michaelnixon, Mar 22, 2012.

1. michaelnixon

michaelnixon Guest

Hi,

We are using 2X ApplicationServer to publish some Windows applications to Mac OS X clients. Our OS X clients print to network printers. Different OS X clients get a different list of printers.

The easiest way for us to get printing to work via 2X was to use the standard printer redirection, where all of the local OS X printers appear on the terminal server. Please see the screenshot below of how we configured this in 2X:

[​IMG]

Every time a user logs into 2X, a *new* redirected printer is created. Please see the screenshot below of the printers on the OS X side, and then the printers the user sees in windows when connected via 2X:

OS X side:
    [​IMG]

Windows side:
    [​IMG]

The number at the end (Redirected 15) increases constantly. This in itself is not a problem, however we now need to push out some printer default settings. Unfortunately this seems impossible to do as a new redirected printer is created each time, so the users keep having to change printer settings whenever they connect. Please see the screenshot below of the setting we need to change for our redirected printers:

[​IMG]

If anyone has any suggestions on how we could set printing defaults with this setup, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

2. tfoy

tfoy Guest

I'm currently using the Mac OS X 2X client 10.1.1239 and Windows 2008 R2 server with 2X Application Server 10.0.1167. We are not able to get the redirector to work for the local printers.

How are you getting this to work?

I have everything setup just like the 2X instructions state and everything looks exactly like you have listed here but when I go into an application and print I do not see my local printer with the (redirected #). If I use a Windows VM from the same computer it works.

Can you please shed some light on how you are able to print from your Mac client using the redirector?

Thanks

3. sndrobert

sndrobert Guest

Really, a helpful post.

4. jpc

jpc Pro

@tfoy: You have to use the correct printer driver for the server you are connecting to. If the server does not have the correct driver, no printers are redirected.

The default driver is the "Apple Laser Writer 8500" which is fine for Windows 2003 servers but will NOT work for Windows 2008. For Windows 2008 you will need to change the driver to "HP LaserJet 4350 PS".

More information on setting and using printer redirection is available at: http://www.2x.com/blog/2010/08/tech/usi ... -to-a-mac/