Deleted StarDock, now MacLook won't work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DarrylZ, Apr 16, 2013.

1. DarrylZ

DarrylZ Junior Member

While deleting some old programs I didn't need in XP Virtual Machine, I also deleted StarDock MyColors. It turns out that this is used for the Macintosh Look for Parallels ("Use MacLook"). How do I get this back? I forgot how ugly XP can be!

I reinstalled Parallels Tools, and unselected and re-selected Use MacLook but no joy. It seemed to (try to) download something, but no change when clicking or unclicking the menu item. Is there a separate download for StarDock and the Mac theme?

The world of aesthetics hinges on this crucial download ;)

Thanks
    Darryl

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Uninstall Parallels Tools, reboot, install PT again.

3. DarrylZ

DarrylZ Junior Member

How do I uninstall the Parallel tools? Twice I "reinstalled" the tools, and restarted the VM, but nothing. There's no option I can find to uninstall the tools. Reinstalling the tools again.

BTW, when you say "Reboot", do you mean the VM, Parallels, or my Mac?

Thanks
    Darryl

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs (just like any other program on Windows).

Reboot the VM/Windows (so all files are removed and settings are applied).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  5. DarrylZ

DarrylZ Junior Member

Removed Parallels Tools through the control panel, rebooted, installed Parallels Tools, restarted, de-selected View -> MacLook, restarted, selected View -> MacLook, nothing.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

By the way, how did you uninstalled Stardock? If you didn't do via the Add/remove Programs that would explain why it isn't reinstalling it, because the programs is registered as being installed.

From the Add/remove programs, uninstall Parallels Tools and Stardock (if it's there), then reboot and install PT again.

if this doesn't work, open a ticket with support.

7. DarrylZ

DarrylZ Junior Member

Originally I did remove StarDock through Add/Remove, since I didn't remember installing that program and XP claimed it hadn't been used in a long time, so I removed it through the control panel.

I'll give your next suggestion a try as well.

Thanks
    Darryl

[edit 2013-04-16: Finally I got the MacLook back! Thanks!]