Hello,
I'm having trouble with a Win11 VM (I run Parallels 17 on Macbook Pro 2013 with iOS 11.17.1 Big Sur) which at times causes my mac to run out of space, resulting in a crash when I try to reclaim space. I've been over dozens of solutions to delete snapshots (which I have none) and cleaning both my Macbook and the VM, turning off automatic backup in Time Machine so as to make sure there's no issue there.
What I've come up with so far is that when I delete the VM, which currently is ~130 GB in size, to back it up from an external drive via TM, more than twice that size is freed up (~360 GB the last time) as the size of 'other files' decreases too. When I restore the VM file via TM, 'other files' increases in size again until things are almost back to where they were, but with some 30 GB or so more free space (which then disappears again over the next few days/weeks). Any ideas what to do about this? I only use the VM to play some games, so I could well reinstall it, but as this problem seems to persist, I'm guessing it won't go away that easily.
I'm having trouble with a Win11 VM (I run Parallels 17 on Macbook Pro 2013 with iOS 11.17.1 Big Sur) which at times causes my mac to run out of space, resulting in a crash when I try to reclaim space. I've been over dozens of solutions to delete snapshots (which I have none) and cleaning both my Macbook and the VM, turning off automatic backup in Time Machine so as to make sure there's no issue there.
What I've come up with so far is that when I delete the VM, which currently is ~130 GB in size, to back it up from an external drive via TM, more than twice that size is freed up (~360 GB the last time) as the size of 'other files' decreases too. When I restore the VM file via TM, 'other files' increases in size again until things are almost back to where they were, but with some 30 GB or so more free space (which then disappears again over the next few days/weeks). Any ideas what to do about this? I only use the VM to play some games, so I could well reinstall it, but as this problem seems to persist, I'm guessing it won't go away that easily.