desktop icons

Discussion in 'Parallels Client for Android' started by drgt, Apr 30, 2014.

1. drgt

drgt Bit poster

Hi
    I am using the 2X android client and doing a remote desktop connection (not a 2x connection) to pc running win xp pro sp2 and sp3.

I have the following 2 problems:
    1. During a remote session I cannot see all the remote pc's desktop icons.
    2. After a remote session, logging in LOCALLY to that pc, desktop icons are all rearanged.

How to solve these issues?

2. jpc

jpc Pro

* What is the resolution's width and height that you are connecting with? (Once connected to the RDP session, go to Options (...) -> Connection Info)

* How many icons do you have on the desktop?

If you have a lot of icons on the desktop but your resolution is too small, then they will not fit on the screen.

Moreover, the icons may be repositioned on a workstation OS due to the fact that you would be taking over your only session and resizing it to fit to the mobile's resolution. Upon disconnection windows may reposition them as it thinks best. Turing on the "auto-arrange" option (right-click on the desktop -> auto arrange) may alleviate the issue by having windows always auto-arranging the icons in a consistent manner.

3. drgt

drgt Bit poster

Hi

Width is 1280 and height is 670 (N7100 device, just checked).

Desktop resolution is 1680 x 1050

There are more than 100 icons on the desktop.

On N7100 it shows 12 icons accross in 6 rows while on N8000 it shows 15 icons accross in 8 rows.

4. jpc

jpc Pro

To fix both of your issues you will have to either:
    • set the desktop resolution to 1680 x 1050 OR
    • reduce the number of icons that you have so that it fits on the lowest resolution that you want to use
    AFAIK, you will lose access to your icons if they can not fit on the desktop. Another possible workaround, since you are using WinXP, would be to put the icons in a single folder and use XP's ActiveDesktop feature to show that folder on the desktop. That way, you will have scrollbars and will be able to access all the otherwise-invisible icons.

5. drgt

drgt Bit poster

You mean to set the resolution on the device (N7100 or N8000 in this case) to 1680 x 1050 right?
    (Because on the remote pc desktop the resolution is already that).

If so, I did not see where to change the resolution on the 2x app...

6. jpc

jpc Pro

(Side note: Although the desktop resolution is 1680 x 1050 when you logon from the pc, the resolution changes when you logon from the device according to the "resolution setting" in the display.)

To set the connection's resolution on the device:
    1. Tap on the "..." next to the desired connection and select edit
    2. Go to Display > Resolution, select "Custom". This will enable the "Width/Height" textboxes.
    3. Input the Width and Height you want to use and then just press "back" twice to go back to the connection list