Disable Apple Menu & Dock In Lion Full Screen?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NathanJ, Oct 2, 2012.

1. NathanJ

NathanJ Member

I was one of the early upgraders to Parallels 8, and usually the kinks are all worked out in the first month or so.

One particularly annoying one that hasn't is that the Apple Menu and Dock keep popping up. The old solution involving setting all hot corners to "-" which worked just fine for Parallels 7 no longer works for PD8. Maybe this is some attempt at compatibility for Windows 8 hot corners, but I'm using Windows 7.

In any event, there are some of us professional Windows users that like a full screen mode that is isolated from the Mac until we press Ctrl+Alt. Coherence, Modality, Crystal, and whatever else sounds like it would be great for some people, but I need my "mile high menu bar" to be the Windows title bar and task bar and not the Apple OS.

The worst is throwing your mouse cursor up to the top right corner to close a Window and instead you hit the Apple menu option to come out of full screen, screwing up all your Windows and breaking up your workflow.

If anyone has any workarounds, please share. Thanks!

2. fence1247

fence1247 Bit poster

I was having the same problems, and it turns out that all you have to do is (when in parallels desktop) go to the apple bar that comes down from the top of the screen select "virtual Machines" and select "configure". It brings up a menu, and select the tab "options". there is a category now for "full screen options". either disable hot screen corners or set them to null " - ". for more details use this generic fullscreen guide:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v7/update3/docs/en/Parallels Desktop User's Guide/33242.htm

Happy Trails!

3. NathanJ

NathanJ Member

I mentioned that this no longer works in Parallels Desktop 8. It did work in Parallels 7 so someone goofed or they don't have a QA department.

4. Phil Dennis

Phil Dennis Bit poster

Do you have the "Use Max OS X Full Screen" option unchecked? I was having this same issue on Parallels 7 until unchecking this option.

5. NathanJ

NathanJ Member

Looks like you're right--thanks for the workaround.

But it still is a workaround and an awkward way to work since you lose all the benefits of Lion fullscreen. And we've had Lion for a year and half now. Isn't this like two API calls so tell OSX not to show the Apple menu and dock. Is it really so hard? Disappointed in PD8...

6. BobSnider

BobSnider Bit poster

I know this is an old thread, but I just upgraded to Parallels 8 and had the same annoyance that the Apple dock appears in the full-screen Windows XP window. I found that by clicking on one of the dock icons for something on the Windows side, then clicking the same icon again when that window is focused, will cause the dock to disappear. I have no corners enabled as hot spots.

Now in v. 8 I can't get to the configuration screen with the control-alt tap like before, but I can get there by command-tab back to Parallels on the Apple side. I use this to connect and disconnect USB hardware.

Update 8/25/2013: Now it is working as it used to. When I switch to Windows (full screen mode) the dock disappears. Something was reading my mind. I didn't make any changes myself.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013