Disable time machine backup on windows virtual machine

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by AmyM1, Nov 28, 2018.

1. AmyM1

AmyM1 Bit poster

Every time I use Parallells to run my windows machine it does a backup and it runs so slowly I can't do anything at all. I have tried to go into the Parallels icon at the top right of my toolbar and then configure but the option to disable time machine back up is greyed out and it says you have to shut down the virtual machine to make changes. Then when I shut the virtual machine down the option isn't even there anymore to configure those options.

In the time machine settings on my mac I have told it to ignore the bootcamp drive but it still keeps doing it every time I use parallels.

Is anyone able to help? It's gotten to the point where Parallels is so slow now I can't even explore folders or do simple things let alone open a program.

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi AmyM1,
    We have suggested you in Facebook to exclude the Parallels folder in Time Machine settings to resolve the issue. As you have imported Bootcamp into a VM, just excluding Bootcamp partition will not help. If you have any questions, let us know for further assistance.

3. DouglasH4

DouglasH4 Bit poster

I'm running version 10.15.6 Catalina on an iMac late 2012 and every time I launch Parallels 15 it immediately starts a Time Machine backup rendering the virtual machine USLESS for how ever long it takes for the backup to occur.(Windows 10 is dog slow compounded by the TM backup as well as by the endless Windows updates that occur like every 30 seconds on god awful Windows 10... I digress...).
    I DO NOT want, nor need a backup of this virtual machine. EVER. My work around has been to disable Time Machine but this is not a permanent solution and defeats the purpose of Time Machine.
    Can someone please tell me specifically exactly what folder(s) / File(s) to exclude. I have guessed at which folder to exclude (See photo attached) but am not sure it is correct or the only folder(s)/file(s) that should be excluded to inhibit a backup of this virtual machine.
    I'm not one to poke around using command line anymore although I'm quite familiar with how to do that when desperate, so please be specific! Thanks to anyone who kindly responds!

Attached Files: