Do Not Backup with Time Machine greyed out

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AlexandruK, Jun 23, 2016.

1. AlexandruK

AlexandruK Bit poster

i'm still using the trial version of parallels... and the "do not back up with time machine" is greyed out. is this just cause it's a feature of the full version... or is something wrong with my install?

2. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hi AlexandruK,
    In this case please try to stop the VM. See the instructions at and check how it works. Please make sure virtual machine configuration settings are not locked.

3. AlexandruK

AlexandruK Bit poster

Hi Dinesh.
    how do i check that virtual machine settings are not locked?

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @AlexandruK,
    Yes. The configuration settings should be unlocked and the virtual machine needs to be shut down before you could make certain modifications.

5. AlexandruK

AlexandruK Bit poster

i've tried to reset my whole VM. .... now i'm at the point where the bootcamp was FRESHLY installed... and i'm setting up the VM to connect to the bootcamp partition... it's STILL not letting me select that option.

6. Sasti@Parallels

Hi,
    Now I see it. Boot camp based virtual machines, do not have this option. This is the reason, the option is greyed out.

7. AlexandruK

AlexandruK Bit poster

ah... so I'm stuck with time machine always making a backup? can't i set time machine to avoid that folder for the vm?

8. Sasti@Parallels

Hi,
    Well, you could always use the time machine's settings to exclude the required files. Check this solution from Apple to do this.

AlexandruK likes this.
  9. AlexandruK

AlexandruK Bit poster

thanks.

10. Sasti@Parallels

Hey,
    You're welcome. Feel free to get back to us any time. We will be happy to help.