Do Not go for Acronis if you want to pick and choose!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by michaelg12, Apr 22, 2016.

1. michaelg12

michaelg12 Bit poster

I used to use Acronis many years ago. Promoted it as a mater of fact. Better then the other back up programs. But since most of those that use parallels are on a Mac ; Know this. You cannot pick the drive(partition) you want to back up and place it to the drive(partition) you want it to land in. I wanted to back up bootcamp without doing it with terminal. I used to use Acronis years back, knew its capabilities so had no problem paying for it. But that was when I was windows based. Mac based I have to back up the entire drive as one with the partitions. When all i wanted to do was back up Boot Camp. In any case after a long period of time on the phone to India. I am getting a refund on Acronis and the 20 dollar phone call I had to pay for technical support. So if you have a 100 gig bootcamp partition(note disk utility throws an error if you try to clone it, El Capitan). Go Acronis parallels says. Don't if you want to pick and choose what you back up and where you put it. Now I am going to have to dig into Terminal codes and filters just to back up what I want to. Should write my own back up software to allow pick and choose and where it is placed. Parallels advertise correctly about how Acronis backs up. This goose chase is pushing over 30 hours now, and honestly I am so over it.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

3. michaelg12

michaelg12 Bit poster

I will check it out, I am about to re format, and don't want to have to re-doo bootcamp. Just want to dump it back in a partition. I don't use it that often, and it works. Except this entire upgrade dilemma. video drivers are all kind of screwed up on it. so i might have to. Drivers that worked just fine before. Now have issues. Couldn't they just make a patch would have saved me so much headache. Thanks for the info.

4. RogerE1

RogerE1 Bit poster

5. RogerE1

RogerE1 Bit poster

I backup up Mac OS X including Parallels, and Bootcamp using Acronis for Mac. As long as i can restore the parts i want to, I don't see a major problem. In my opinion, it is a good way to management Disaster Recovery. No, Acronis for Mac doesn't allow for selections of what to backup, like partitions. I don't see a huge problem unless there isn't a backup storage capacity issue.

6. michaelg12

michaelg12 Bit poster

I just use time machine for that. I only wanted to backup bootcamp. Recently had my MacBook Pro stolen so will be a bit before I get back