DO NOT "RECLAIM DISK SPACE"!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by willmow, Oct 17, 2019.

1. willmow

willmow Member

I followed Parallels' suggestion to reclaim 45GB of disk space and ended up with a corrupted Parallels Data File that cost me upwards of GBP 350 to have fixed. If I felt I had a chance of recouping that from Parallels, I would. In the meantime, I urge company to withdraw that faulty reclaim disk space function - and users should avoid it at all costs. (Latest MBP running Mojave and Parallels 15)

Bootz-Pgh likes this.
  2. Bootz-Pgh

Bootz-Pgh Junior Member

You know what...all my problems started when I clicked on Reclaim Disk Space about 2 weeks ago. This was when I was running Mojave and PD15. Upgrading to latest Catalina did not solve the problem. Unbelievable...

3. Bootz-Pgh

Bootz-Pgh Junior Member

I was able to use Time Machine and thankfully I had a backup from October 1. I had to copy the entire VM from an external drive to my internal drive. I will never touch the reclaim disk space button again unless Parallels makes it clear it is safe to do so...

4. diamondsoftware

diamondsoftware Bit poster

Hi,
    it's a well known problem (and very very dangerous bug) since months and no new from Parallels... :( :(
    S.

5. Hi, do you know your ticket number?

6. diamondsoftware

Hi,
    no it's months before and I don't keep old emails when I don't have any answer from the receiver. :(
    As you can see easily in your forums , we are a lot who have this problems and for some lose virtual machines or time to restore them.
    So a ticket number is not necessary... you have all the infos on forums.
    Regards
    S.

7. Did you lose your VM after update? Did you check the trash? Do you have a backup copy?

8. diamondsoftware

Hi,
    of course! Hopefully I've backups... I'm a IT professionnal since 40years. the problems is not that! the problem is the BUG! who destruct Virtual Machine who is inaceptable for a software as this and the lack of answe from Parallels

9. MichaelF22

MichaelF22 Bit poster

Bump. Oh man oh man I wish I had referred to this forum before deciding to Reclaim ~30GB of space on my Windows 10 install. BOTH my Windows 10 Guest hard drive and my Mac OS HOST hard drives are now corrupt. The Mac OS install is virtually unusable and I can't find any way to repair this. How in the world has this feature not been fixed or just completely REMOVED from Parallels?! This is horrendous for a paid piece of software.