Does Parallels 6 still support Windows 2000?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SESteve, Sep 14, 2010.

1. SESteve

SESteve Bit poster

I have a legacy app that I need to run under Windows 2000. Can I still do this with version 6?

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Yes, Windows 2000 is supported.

3. Michael Peck

Michael Peck Bit poster

Windows 2000 installation - blue screen

When I try to install Windows 2000 on Parallels 6 I get a blue screen shortly after the install starts from CD:

*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005,0xBFF9B680,0x00000000,0x00000000)
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

*** Address BFF9B680 base at BFF7A000, Date Stamp 382a167a - acpi.sys

... and the usual try again message.

4. YanaB

YanaB Member

Dear Michael,

Would you please reproduce th issue, send the Problem Report from Help menuu and place the Report ID here?

5. Tabo

Tabo Bit poster

Same problem here

I have the same problem (with Windows 2000 also), and have sent a Problem Report with ID 8624809.

Also, following Internet posts, I have tested pressing various function keys (F8, F5, F7) during Windows boot, to no avail (keypress seems to be ignored).

This is on a Mini (2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) using OS 10.6.7.

6. YanaB

YanaB Member

Dear Michael Peck and Tabo,

Thank you for information provided. This issue is already being investigated by our Product Maintenance team. The fix is supposed to be supplied with one of our future updates.

To receive the information about Parallels updates, please subscribe to corresponding news groups:

https://www.parallels.com/account/subscriptions/

7. SESteve

SESteve Bit poster

I had the same problem. You have to click in the Parallels window first in order for it to see the key presses. You'll know it's seeing key presses because the bottom of the window will change from "Parallels Tools not installed" to "Press Ctrl+Alt to release the mouse and keyboard"

8. twells5

twells5 Bit poster

I am getting the same error when trying to install Windows 2000 with Parallels 6.0. Has this problem been resolved yet?

If not, is there a work around while a solution is being worked on? Windows 2000 is the only version of Windows I own and would prefer not to purchase the latest windoze just to run one or two programs...

Thank you
    tim

9. twells5

twells5 Bit poster

I have the same problem trying to install Windows 2000 with Parallels 6.0. Has this issue been resolved yet or is there a workaround in the meantime?

Thank you
    tim

10. SESteve

SESteve Bit poster

Yes. When Parallels is first starting, click in the window and press F8. From the list of machines, select Standard PC.

11. twells5

twells5 Bit poster

SESteve,

Thanks for your quick reply. I click in the window as parallels is starting, the prompt at the bottom changes to
    "Press Ctl-Alt to release...." as mentioned in your earlier post. I then press F8, but nothing happens. I don't see any list of machine choices. Do I have to press a function or control key along with the F8 to get the list of machines?

tim

12. FinnM

FinnM Bit poster

I have the same problem trying to install Windows 2000 with Parallels 6.0.

13. SESteve

SESteve Bit poster

It's F5, not F8. Sorry about that--it was a couple months since I did this.