Drive Letter in Parallels.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JensH2, May 3, 2015.

1. JensH2

JensH2 Bit poster

Hi Drive letter keep change in windows.
    There are no normal lettering i mac, but i call all my drives etc. MP3 DJ Dump ( F ) 4TB
    And want so assign it the same letter in windows etc F:/ and so it stay at (F) everytime i boot up in parallels in windows.
    That is very frustrating when using etc DC++ program, then it need to hash all over each time
    Create Thread | Parallels Forums-2.png Create Thread | Parallels Forums.png
    Here is an example so you can see that it change the letter A to L next time A to S
    every time i boot up, or remove a drive, then it make all new letters, And never keep the same..
    When try to go to control panel in windows, Computer Management then to Disk Management, there is only the drive C:. No other visual drives..?
    Running on a demo version of parallels, but need this problem to be fixed before buy.
    Please Help.

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello JensH2, Drive letter assignment is managed by Windows OS by default and does not depend on Parallels Desktop. Please follow the steps suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/116127 to assign drive letters.

3. JensH2

JensH2 Bit poster

Hi Ram..or any support
    Don't think you understand the problem, running parallels latest version, and windows 8.1
    Have seen may complain over in different topic inside here about.
    "How to assign permanent drive letters to removable USB hard drives"
    "Manual setting the drive letter of shared folders"
    "Based on some more playing around with settings and mappings, I've come to the conclusion that there is simply no way to force Parallels to stop mapping connected drives/shares. No matter the state of the map drive letters setting, Parallels always maps all connected USB drives and all connected network shares to seemingly random drive letter assignments. If the exact same shares are not available at VM startup, it will map the various connected drives to different drive letters than the last time. The only difference when mapping drive letters is toggled on is that the local Mac drive is added to the mix.
    Somebody please prove me wrong on this. It's really not how I want this to behave and the lag caused by doubling up the connected network shares to get the proper drive letter assignments is driving me nuts."
    What we want....

Is that each mac drive will be imported into Computer Management then -> Storage -> Disk Management. but in your latest version, you just don't listen to the users.
    We want the USB or Mac drives to be shown there.
    Or fix it so drive mapping of letters stay the same every time you reboot windows or start up Parallels after shutdown.
    As it is now, no drive are shown inside Disk Management, we are not interested in remapping them as network drives.

Think you are loosing a lot of buying users on that account, please try to fix this matter asap.

Best Regards
    Jolly