Dropping back to version 13

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MikeFromMesa, Apr 4, 2019.

1. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

I had been running Parallels 13 for some time when I decided to give version 14 a trial. I downloaded the dmg file and installed it, but found there was little if any new functionality that I found necessary and so decided to go back to 13, at least for a while.

I removed the version 14 desktop and Toolbox apps, downloaded the version 13 dmg file from my account and installed it, but when I tried to run it and specified the Windows pvm file I got an error telling me: The path you have specified contains the files that belong to another virtual machine.

My first assumption was that version 14 had updated my .pvm file so I got out one of my backups and copied the old .pvm file from version 13, but I still got the same error and I have now begun to worry that I can no longer use my virtual machine, even backed up ones, with version 13. The only other thing I can think of is that version 14 updated some of my Library files and folders and they are what might be causing the error but before I wiped out all of my Parallels Library folders and files I thought I should ask.

What can I do to get version 13 running? At this point, with the swapping of virtual machines, I am not even sure version 14 will run properly and I do not wish to create an entirely new .pvm file. Can anyone make any suggestions?

2. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

Support responded and I received an answer how to do this. For any who might need the information, here it is:

1) Go to the Parallels Desktop configuration dialog box and select Remove to remove the .pvm file from the Parallels Desktop. The same option appeared when I tried to start the Desktop and use the .pvm file, but when I saw this I originally thought that the Remove would remove the file from the disk, so I did not use it. Now I understand that it only means to disassociate the file with the Desktop. Then exit the Desktop.

2) Double-click on the .pvm file. That will start the Desktop and associate it with the .pvm file.

Version 13 now works for me again.