Dropping out of coherence mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DerrickA, Jun 3, 2011.

1. DerrickA

DerrickA Bit poster

I am running Parallels Desktop 6 on a 2011 iMac with a Windows 7 client. I have recently switched from PC to Mac, and I still depend on running Microsoft Office have 2 external monitors connected to the iMac so I want to use Coherence to allow multiple Windows windows. My problem is that after a period of not using a Windows program Parallels switches out of Coherence mode and all the windows pile up on the one monitor inside a Windows instance. Is this a Parallels feature or a bug? I can't find any preference or configuration option that bears on the problem. (Incidentally, it's just happened again...)

2. PeterP

PeterP Member

I have this happening as well. Started about a 10 days to 2 weeks ago, approximately in line with OS X Security Update 2011-003 and latest Parallels update.

Running Parallels 6.0.12090 (Rev. 660720; 26 May 2011).

Mac is ...

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.7.0

Parallels instance is Win 7-32 Bit
    using 1 CPU core
    with 1.5Gb memory
    and 256Mb video memory wi 3D and Vertical Synchronisation enabled.

See attached screenshot for Win 7 config

Anyone have any idea as to cause?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

3. DaveShirmetal

DaveShirmetal Bit poster

I too am having this problem. Been onto their support chat thing twice now with no resolution.
    No one appears to have seen this problem before.

Any ideas?

I can't remember this being an issue with version 5 (which I upgraded from to 6).

I am reluctant to downgrade as other aspects (zooming and window responsiveness, general speed, resume time etc) are all better.

Please help someone!

4. Carsten7

Carsten7 Bit poster

Hi,

Same for me!

After a few Minutes coherence exists with the Windows Sound of Disconnecting hardware.

Did you find a solution for your problem?

Carsten

5. DaveShirmetal

DaveShirmetal Bit poster

I fixed it!

Go to the power options in windows and disable it turning off the hard drive and monitor.

Set both to never on power and battery.

Solved!

What a stupid bug.
    Hope this helps someone.

6. Carsten7

Carsten7 Bit poster

here this solved the problem too.

thank you!

7. SMSBob

SMSBob Bit poster

Coherence and Windows Files

I have just discovered the Coherence feature and am amazed at the fact that I had it on the iMAC so long but had not used it. Seems to be a wonderful program; however, I've encountered a bit of an issue that has me puzzled.

If I am running my Legacy genealogy via Parallels -->Win 7, I can add files to Legacy from my files located at C:\Legacy\Docs. Unfortunately, when in Coherence and looking at the C:\Legacy\Docs location, the entire Docs file is blank. This Docs issue is replicated if I try to add a photo from C:\Legacy\pictures via Coherence. Can someone show me where I seem to have gone wrong?