Duplicate Records - AD

Discussion in 'Parallels Mac Management for Microsoft SCCM' started by RobertM18, Feb 2, 2017.

1. RobertM18

RobertM18 Bit poster

So, I see two different records in the SCCM database.. one from the AD object and one from the client registration.

I know PMM 4.5 was supposed to take care of some of the AD issues... did it not fix the duplicate objects? Also, can we still not use Security Groups on Mac PMM clients?

2. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

Is this answered?

We would like to use AD Groups on Mac's for collection membership, but this is not working for us either.

3. Evgeny Smirnov

Evgeny Smirnov Parallels Developers

Hello Robert,

Are you using AD Group Discovery along with AD System Discovery? Or only first one?

4. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

We are using both.

5. Evgeny Smirnov

Please, show value for the "Resource Names" property of duplicated resources?

6. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

Attached image.

Attached Files:

• pmm.PNG
      pmm.PNG
      File size:
      16 KB
      Views:
  7. Evgeny Smirnov

I don't see full text, it is cropped.

8. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

Well I can't include the entire line in the screen shot, but that should be enough information to prove my point.

I have found a few that are displaying one record and their AD groups, but a lot of records are duplicate like in the screen shot.

9. Evgeny Smirnov

I don't doubt that. I need "Resource Names" to understand the reason.
    How you join your Macs to AD? Do you use native AD plugin or a third-party plugin?

10. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

What table do you want me looking at for "Resource Names" ? System_DISC and v_R_system do not have a "Resource Names" column. However, in the screenshot, it is listing the Name and Netbios Name. That should be enough, no? We pre-create the computer object in AD and then after the build, the technician building the machine joins the machine to AD from the machine system preferences and it merges the AD records.

11. Evgeny Smirnov

Joining resources together is a job of SCCM. To do this SCCM requires at least one matching in "Resource Names" property.

12. Evgeny Smirnov

Do I understand your process correctly?

1) Create AD object
    2) Build machine
    3) Install Parallels Mac Agent
    4) Join AD

13. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

that process is correct. and the resource names are the same, but the tables in SQL do not have a column for "resource name" .. so duplicate records do not show up in the console, but they do in SQL. One record has the AD information (distinguished name, groups, etc.) and the other record has the SCCM info (PMA Agent, SMS_unique_identifier, etc.)

14. Evgeny Smirnov

"Resource Names" are stored in "v_RA_System_ResourceNames" view.
    So, you see duplicates in SQL databse only and in Console there is no duplicates, am I right? How this resource looks in Console?

15. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

I do see duplicates in the console. But as far as v_RA_System_ResourceNames, it is only showing the machine with the resource id corresponding to the SCCM info (PMA Agent, SMS_unique_identifier, etc.).. the machine with the AD group information is not in that view.

See attached.

Attached Files:

• pmm.PNG
      pmm.PNG
      File size:
      12.5 KB
      Views:
    • ppm.PNG
      ppm.PNG
      File size:
      8.3 KB
      Views:
  16. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

According to the SCCM Console, the resource name is empty on the other one.

See attached. pmm.PNG

17. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

I think I have it narrowed down. Every computer I've found with duplicate records, one of them has a blank "Resource Name" like the screen shot in the previous post. And each one that has that blank name, has a blank "DNS name" field on the AD Computer object. All the machines that are merged together properly have the DNS name field populate in AD on the computer object.

18. Evgeny Smirnov

Yes, you are right. That is what I was going to offer you, set dNSHostName attribute in pre-created AD object.

I think the following occurs:
    1) Created AD object for new Mac
    2) SCCM runs AD discovery and creates resource with empty "Resource Names"
    3) Mac is joined to AD. This typically updates dNSHostName value in AD. But to update SCCM resource the AD discovery should be run again.
    4) Installed and registered Mac Agent. This creates new resource record because of empty "Resource Names" in existing one.

19. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

That is all correct, except:

3) Mac is joined to AD. This typically updates dNSHostName value in AD. But to update SCCM resource the AD discovery should be run again.

For some reason the Mac clients are not updating dNSHostName value in AD.