eGPU custom windows drivers not installing within Windows virtualization on Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ShiyamR, Jan 30, 2023.

1. ShiyamR

ShiyamR Bit poster

I have a Macbook Pro 15" late 2016 running on Monterey attached to an eGPU, with an AMD Radeon RX 580 card. When I installed Windows, everything worked right, and as per the the recommendations given by Parallels documentation, I set up the whole virtualization to run under the external eGPU through an external display. My only trouble is trying to install custom Windows AMD Radeon display drivers for the card I have, during a virtualization session. It strangely says that no card is detected in Windows and I can't run AMD customization driver software for the eGPU. Is this supposed to happen, or am I doing something wrong? I'm considering running 3D modelling software during my Windows virtualization, alas, such software would really benefit from the AMD software driver enhancements, had the custom drivers been recognized. But, again, they weren't.

This is essentially what made me decide to return the trial. I would totally get Parallels if it allowed me to run AMD driver software and the eGPU were recognized within Windows internally and not externally through MacOS. Hope someone can help!

2. Maxim Rasulov

Maxim Rasulov Staff Member

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to install and make use of the graphic card drivers in the virtual machine.

Parallels Desktop can make use of the eGPU resources to improve graphics performance, however to install the AMD drivers, the graphics card will have to be connected into the virtual machine directly. That requires utilization of VT-d technology support for virtualization, but VT-d on Mac can't be used to pass an external GPU into the virtual machine.

You can find more information in the following article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124266

Have a nice day.