el capitan for parallels 8 (windows 7)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PS_, Oct 1, 2015.

1. PS_

PS_ Bit poster

upgraded to el capitan. tried to boot up windows 7 on parallels 8. get messages like

- Failed to open the Parallels networking module
    - Unable to find the Parallels driver for USB devices

Any hope or solutions to fix the above and/or generally about using parallels (8) for el capitan.

thanks in advance.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello PS_ please note that Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac will not support OS X El Capitan (10.11). Please purchase the full version of Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac and install it on your Mac OS X El Capitan. Thanks!

3. MarioC1

MarioC1 Bit poster

I have exactly the same error, how i can to upgrade the parallels without uninstall my windows? This to only update and dont need unistall and install the new version..

4. Hi, you can upgrade you Parallels Desktop and after this you will be able to use your Windows as usual. Just to be save it will be great to backup your VM (.pvm) file before the Parallels upgrade.

5. KrzysztofB

KrzysztofB Bit poster

Hello everyone. I have similar problem with el capitan and Parallels 8. Networking module and USB don't work. Do you have any suggestions / command line commands to solve both issues ?
    El capitan is very unstable on my Mac Book Pro 13' Retina. Hangs up a few times a day and restart automatically.
    I was trying to install Trial version of Parallels 11 but it removes my Parallels 8 app (it doesn't matter what was the application folder name - different from Parallels Dekstop.app)

I have executed following commands:
    $ cd /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Library/Extensions/10.6
    $ sudo kextutil prl_hypervisor.kext

Diagnostics for prl_hypervisor.kext:
    Code Signing Failure: code signature is invalid
    kext file:///Applications/Parallels%20Desktop.app/Contents/Library/Extensions/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
    kext file:///Applications/Parallels%20Desktop.app/Contents/Library/Extensions/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

$ sudo kextutil prl_hid_hook.kext

Diagnostics for prl_hid_hook.kext:
    Untrusted kexts are not allowed
    ERROR: invalid signature for com.parallels.kext.hidhook, will not load

$ sudo kextutil prl_usb_connect.kext

Diagnostics for prl_usb_connect.kext:
    ERROR: invalid signature for com.parallels.kext.usbconnect, will not load

$ sudo kextutil prl_netbridge.kext

prl_netbridge.kext - dependency 'com.parallels.kext.hypervisor' not found.
    Diagnostics for prl_netbridge.kext:
    Dependency Resolution Failures:
    No kexts found for these libraries:
    com.parallels.kext.hypervisor

$ sudo kextutil prl_vnic.kext

Diagnostics for prl_vnic.kext:
    ERROR: invalid signature for com.parallels.kext.vnic, will not load

It seems that almost nothing works correctly in el capitan :(.
    Do someone know how to add untrusted kext module to hash exception list ?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  6. KrzysztofB

KrzysztofB Bit poster

The only solution I have found is to run Recovery OS, select terminal from utilies and type 'csrutil disable' command. It is not safe but the only work around I've discovered. Now Parallels Desktop 8 works in El Capitan as it used to be :) (perfectly). Thank you support team for your lack of support.
    I'am still looking forward for commands to add kext libraries to hash exception list.
    Do anyone have an idea how to do it ?

DmitriR likes this.
  7. ChangH

ChangH Bit poster

KrzysztofB: It works like charm! Kudos for the solution that could never come from Parallels Customer Support!

8. DmitriR

DmitriR Bit poster

Thank you very much for this solution!
    To add a little background to this:
    It is a new feature of OS X 10.11 (El Capitan): SIP.
    System Integrity Protection (sometimes referred to as rootless) is a security feature of OS X El Capitan, the operating system by Apple Inc.
    Among the protected locations are: /System, /bin, /sbin and /usr (but not /usr/local).

P.S.
    Paralles support only solution is to purchase the upgrade... Which is profit driven, instead being customer satisfaction driven. Very sad, but not surprising at all :(

9. WilsonL1

WilsonL1 Bit poster

Hi I was upgrade to OS X EI Capitan in Parallels 8 (windows 7) last night, But now we found that it cannot internet , all of usb hub cannot function,If I buy a new version (Parallels 11),can all the problem was slove ,and we don't know how to upgrade
    Many Thanks

10. DmitriR

DmitriR Bit poster

If you wish to go with the upgrade option, all you need to do for the upgrade is purchace the Parallels 11 upgrade (http://www.parallels.com/uk/upgradepd11/) and install it on your mac. It will sort out the network sharing for your virtual machines.

Good luck :)

11. WilsonL1

WilsonL1 Bit poster

Sorry ! You means if I upgrade to Parallels 11 ,all of the problem was slove?(included networking & USB)? I was try to upgrade 11 but it cannot accepect because 8 cannot to 11,
    If I buy 11 to upgrade is it format the hardisk
    Thanks