Energy Saver - Catalina volume indexing fails to be reenabled [Bug]

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by AndrewC16, Dec 16, 2019.

1. AndrewC16

AndrewC16 Bit poster

I have the same issue as others and think its energy saver i think the problem is related to cataline which now splits a system to two internal volumes

/ = the root volume defualts as /volume/Macintosh HD
    and /System/Volumes/Data which is mounted to various directorys on root

/volume/Macintosh HD is mainly system stuff which the user doesnt need to access it also contains the default macOS apps.
    and /System/Volumes/Data is all the data which the user(s) can change and access thirdpary apps, home directories etc

this is how spotlight should be on a defualt catalinea system [sometimes you will have timemachine volumes aswell when its running]

> sudo mdutil -sa
    /:
    Indexing enabled.
    /System/Volumes/Data:
    Indexing enabled.​

sometimes i find after i plugin in the power cable that System/Volumes/Data isnt re-enabled and sometimes its both volumes that fail to reenable.

>mdutil -s -a
    /:
    Indexing disabled.
    /System/Volumes/Data:
    Indexing disabled.

/Volumes/.timemachine/Rendezvous._smb._tcp.local./6A9FBFD7-D3AB-49CC-84A8-2D107EB28BB3/Time Machine Folder:
    No index.
    /Volumes/Time Machine Backups:
    Indexing enabled.
    /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb:
    Indexing enabled.​

this means that i can only find defaullt apps through spotlight (and applications which use the service such as Alfred), apps like office and parallels are missing and no documents. As explained i also find that those volumes are removed from search results as opposed to just pausing indexing so the system has to rebuild them once reenabled.

2. RodneyX

RodneyX Bit poster

was this solved? and Energy server only changes spotlight?

3. AndrewC16

AndrewC16 Bit poster

No idea, I am using separate indervidual apps from third parties and features out of the box in macOS now.