Entering Multi-language with IME

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by jw1977, Aug 10, 2006.

1. jw1977

jw1977 Guest

I am wondering if it is possible to enter Japanese (or any other language that required the Input Method Editor) into a seamless T/S session.

The IME works fine with a full desktop RDP client but there doesn't seem to be a way to activate the IME through the 2X TSClient.

Thanks for the help.

JW

2. brian.huang

brian.huang Guest

Sending Ctrl+<Space> and Ctrl+Alt+<Number key> t

I have the same question about how to send combination keys to the AS in the seamless AP mode to activate and switch input methods. And, waiting for an official answer.

There is a stupid alternative. Publish the virtual keyboard and allow the users to open up a virtual keyboard to activate and switch the input method.

Best Regards

3. br_tokyo

br_tokyo Guest

jw1977,

What language version of Windows are you using on your server? In my office we have a server running Japanese Windows 2k3 Server Standard, and we have had no problems with the IME at all. This is of course through the seamless sessions and no via the desktop publishing.

4. brian.huang

brian.huang Guest

How do you turn on Input Method by using combination keys like Ctrl+<Space>?

5. br_tokyo

br_tokyo Guest

As we only use Japanese input we normally do not need IME switching. However, I decided to try it out and I added an English IME. I used the default LeftAlt-Shift combo and the switching functioned as normal Please note that this was with non-MS Office products--I did not have much luck with MS Word. With the Office products, I had to use the half-width/full-width key to change the input method. There must be some sort setting in Word or Excel that allows you to use the default IME. I can't seem to find it though.

6. brian.huang

brian.huang Guest

For Chinese, the Ctrl+<Space> must be used. Actually, this is not a problem of input methods but a problem of using combination keys. We can use Ctrl+C, +V, +A, etc. for editing. Why not Ctrl+<Space>? 2X should not restrict the use of combination keys. At least, it should provide a configuration interface for setting up some combination keys.

I think I am out of luck to find a solution for switching input methods by simply using Ctrl+<Space>. Citrix can do it though. And, for this reason, Citrix is better than 2X. I think 2x simply ignores the problem.

7. br_tokyo

br_tokyo Guest

I have duplicated the bug that you have discovered. Everything works grand with an English IME or a Japanese IME, but when I added the PRC Chinese IME (Pinyin), I could not enter any Chinese. Lets hope that someone at 2X writes a patch, because they will be missing an entire market if they ignore the Chinese-language community.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to write up a bug report with screen captures and submit it to 2X. They might not have anyone familiar with Chinese Input on their development team.

Now I am curious whether Korean and other languages that require an IME to operate function with 2X.

8. brian.huang

brian.huang Guest

I have reported this problem to 2x via their support system. The answer I got is that they don't support Asian languages. They sound like they just don't care. However, this is not a problem of Asian languages. We still can input Chinese as I figured out a "stupid" alternative. That is, I publish the On-screen Virtual Keyboard program for the user to switch the input method by using the mouse to click on the virtual keyboard everything before and after the users need to type in Chinese.

Lots of Taiwanese companies use Citrix to solve the problem. My clients located in Shanghai want to connect the accounting system from an office to another one in the same city and from Shanghai to Beijing and Guangzhou. Unfortunately, Windows Terminal Services can't provide a stable and satisfying solution. Only can Citrix and 2x. The problem is 2X doesn't allow Ctr+<Space> to send. What a shame! As you said, they will be missing an entire market if they ignore the Chinese-language community. I agree but feel sad for my clients to go to Citrix.

9. br_tokyo

br_tokyo Guest

No support for Asian languages? That response is actually a bit troubling, I was not aware that was their stance towards the issue. I can understand not making a localized version of the interface, but not supporting an IME?

I guess in that situation you are only left with Citrix. The average computer user is not going to know how or even want to play tricks with the virtual keyboard. (That was a really good idea by the way)

10. brian.huang

brian.huang Guest

I was surprised by their answer as well. But, due to their surprising response, I look other places and discovered a solution from other company. The solution doesn't utilize the terminal services. Unfortunately, that doesn't support input method. For now, Citrix seems the only solution available for people who require a intuitive switch of input method.

By the way, the virtual keyboard thing is not practical as you said. Just playing around and trying to work around the problem. :)

11. zippo

zippo Pro

Hey did you try to enable the language bar.

12. brian.huang

brian.huang Guest

In order to enable the language bar, the combination keys of Ctrl+<Space> must be sent from the client to 2X AS. And the server must have the correct input methods installed. Sure, I did. Do you figure out how to do without using virtual keyboard?

13. zippo

zippo Pro

Enable the language bar in the control panel solves the problem

14. brian.huang

brian.huang Guest

Enabling the language bar? It is enabled all the time! Are you using an Asian language Windows? When inputing data onto an application, we often need to switch back and forth from an input method. We can't input English letters when the Chinese input method is on. Nor can I input Chinese without switching on the Chinese input method. Maybe there is a trick about the language bar and I don't get it. Please specify.

I may be able to change the combination keys for switching input methods to test which combination keys are acceptabe by 2X AS. But, this is not the right solution.

15. patrickcre8

patrickcre8 Guest