Entire system freezing after Windows update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CarissaT, May 20, 2020.

1. CarissaT

CarissaT Junior Member

Myself and my boss use Parallels on our MacBook Pro's to run Windows 10, and both of us have had the same problem for 6 months or more, but not always at the same time.

The problem is that after Windows runs an update (not every time, just sometimes), and then reboots, we get the spinning color wheel in Mac, and both Parallels and Mac becomes unresponsive. The only way to get out of it is to hard reboot the Mac, sometimes 3 or 4 times or more, taking from an hour up to so far today 4 hours of doing this before the Mac becomes responsive again and the computer can be used again and Windows boots in. When this has happened to mine I have been able to boot in safe mode into Mac OS, but trying to start Parallels ends up with the same result. I recall once when mine was doing this I left it sitting overnight and by morning it had apparently finished whatever it was stuck on.

On my boss's machine he's had this happen at least once or twice a week for the past month or so and he's fed up and ready to switch to something else if we can't get something fixed with it. Personally I haven't had the problem on my Mac in a couple of months or so, and both of us update Windows regularly. We both use Mac OS Catalina (latest version) and he is using Parallels 15, I have Parallels 14, both updated regularly. Upgrading to 15 didn't fix anything for him and installing recent updates for Parallels hasn't worked either, so I didn't bother to upgrade mine from 14. We have done the First Aid in Mac Disk Utility with no effect, and checked both computers for hardware issues and there are none.

I know others have had this issue but I haven't found any solves for it online, any help is appreciated as we are ready to throw in the towel for Parallels.

2. Gerald2

Gerald2 Bit poster

I think I'm in the same situation. There was. an update of Parallels or Window yesterday I believe. I shut down my iMac and now it will take forever to boot and then the finder is not responding. The rainbow wheel is constant. I've tried to reset the NVRAM, reboot in safe mode and ran disk utilities. No changes. Let me know if you find a solution.

3. CarissaT

CarissaT Junior Member

The fix for us was the same as before, hard reboot over and over. On the last of it when it seemed like it was booting up at least on the Mac side, there was an error coming up with Coherence, so went into safe mode and put a delay on how long it takes to go into coherence, thinking maybe it was trying to go in too fast. After this it was ok. Do you have coherence on by default?

4. CarissaT

CarissaT Junior Member

As a sidenote, on my own Mac I had the same exact windows update, and it installed with no issues whatsoever. So it's apparently not update specific. But that being said like I mentioned I have had this same issue on my Mac before, so it's not computer specific either. But just thinking about it now, I have been taking mine out of coherence before updating for the past couple months, and I haven't had any issues, but my boss doesn't take it out of coherence. Maybe that's the variable?