Error when installing Microsoft Office 2010

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by flyingostrich, Jan 28, 2011.

1. flyingostrich

flyingostrich Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 6 in Snow Leopard, running Windows 7 Ultimate edition. Everything has been working great, till today I tried to install Microsoft Office 2010, and I get the error message:

"Setup cannot find the required setup controller file. Either there was a network error, and error reading from the CD, DVD, or other installation media, or a problem with the package you downloaded."

I have tried installing directly from the installation DVD.
    I've tried copying the contents of the DVD into the virtual machine, and running setup.exe.
    I've tried copying the DVD to an image and mounting the image inside the virtual machine.
    I've tried copying the contents of the DVD to a folder on the host, and connecting to it via shared folders.
    I've tried installing both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office 2010 (the virtual machine is 64-bit)
    All result in the same error message. The funny thing is that when I try the install on a PC (running Windows 7 Ultimate natively) it works fine.

This is obviously not a problem with Office 2010, but with Parallels. I've searched these forums and many others, and cannot find a solution. Any ideas?

2. scharffenberg

scharffenberg Bit poster

Solution that worked for me

I, too, had the same problem. After some googling around, I found out that I needed to make sure that Parallels was connected to the DVD by clicking on Parallels, then navigating to Devices, then DVD and then finally clicking on the drive has the DVD. I then brought up a DOS window, found the drive associated with the DVD, pointed the dos session to that drive and then keyed in setup.exe and entered. At that point, the setup program kicked in and you are good to go.

3. TobyC

TobyC Bit poster

That worked great for installing Visio as well.

4. OleB92

OleB92 Bit poster

Could you elaborate on this? In which way did you find the drive associated with the DVD through DOS, and how did you point the session to that drive? Through 'cd' or 'start' command? Because I can't get DOS to recognize and start the .exe file

5. mvonalt

mvonalt Bit poster

Had the same problem. Read the advice about repointing to the DVD through the Parallels menu bar's "Devices" - worked perfectly. No need for DOS. Just make sure that Parallels is looking at the right device. Mine was still set on "Disconnect" from the installation point.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  6. ethisch01

ethisch01 Bit poster

Worked for me as well. Head to install MS Office 2010 Plus on a Windows 8.1 machine, running on parallels 10. Thanks for the tip!