Error when trying to create Windows 7 VM off of Boot Camp partition

tomgorman

Bit poster
I installed Win 7 on a Boot Camp partition. Took forever but everything seems to work fine.

Just fired up Parallels Desktop 5 and ran the New Virtual Machine Assistant. Selected Boot Camp partition in OS detection, and Boot Camp Partition in Hard Disk Options.

In the Name and Location window, when I create the new VM, it returns the following error message: "The Boot Camp hard disk has been successfully configured, but an unexpected error occured when mounting the selected Boot Camp partitions back to your Mac.

Use Disk Utility to mount these partitions back to your Mac."

Any thoughts?

--tom
 
Hi Tom.

In an other thread it has been said that if you install MACDRIVE 8 on your windows 7 bootcamp partition, and then go back to the installation in the mac partition and installs the parallels tools, it should work as intended!

You can just use the macdrive 8 demo download (lasts for five days) to test it.

Please return with an update of whether it has done the trick.
 
Nope

MACDRIVE 8 doesn't fix it.

It's as though the Bootcamp Partition is invisible to Parallels. In fact, I can't mount the Bootcamp Partition in Disk Utility either. Is there something about the way Windows 7 formatted the partition that makes it impossible to mount in Mac OS?

Obviously, I could shred the Bootcamp Partition and just do everything in Parallels. But I liked the option of going fully native in Windows.

--tom
 
Same Problem

I have the same thing happen to me, I have the 17" macbook pro, early 2009, running snow leopard and parallels 5. I thought i could get it to run by installing MacFuse but that didnt work
 
Hi Sir Michael,
we need some additional details:
- Windows version in Boot Camp
- 32-bit or 64-bit
- Boot Camp version
- problem report sent when VM creation hangs (Help > Report a problem). ID can be posted here.
- output of 'diskutil list' command issued in Terminal. You can post output here.
 
-Windows 7 home premium
-64 bit
-3.1
========================
Im not sure what exactly you needed for the last two bullets but i can give you the information in the error message box.

=====================
-The Boot Camp hard disk has been successfully configured, but an unexpected error occured when mounting the selected Boot Camp partitions back to your Mac.

Use Disk Utility to mount these partitions back to your Mac.

================================
Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_STATES_ERROR (0x80021010)
Path: '/Users/MCervoni/Documents/Parallels/Windows 7.pvm/ST9320421ASG (disk0).hdd'
 
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 232.9 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data 86.9 GB disk0s3


PROBLEM REPORT ID: 2468432.
 
I'm having a similar problem to Sir Michael with trying to get Parallels 5 working with Windows 7. Here are the system details:

- Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
- Boot Camp Version: 3.1
- Ouput of diskutil list":
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 69.7 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data 430.1 GB disk0s3


When asked to select the Boot Camp Disk with the New Virtual Machine Assistant, I have three options:

Partition 1 0.1 GB NTFS /dev/disk0s3
Partition 2 400.6 GB NTFS /dev/disk0s4
Partition 3 400.6 GB Data Partition /dev/disk0s3

Selecting Partition 2 or 3 gives me the following error when I go to create: "The Boot Camp hard disk has been successfully configured, but an unexpected error occurred when mounting the selected Boot Camp partitions back to your Mac. Use Disk Utility to mount these partitions back to your Mac." Though, Partition 2 give me the additional error message of "Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_STATES_ERROR (0x80021010) Path: '/Users/tobiasz/Parallels/Windows 7.pvm/ST9500420ASG (disk0).hdd'"
 
Any solution to this yet?

I was running Windows 7 32-bit from bootcamp just fine with v5 of Parallels, then upgraded to v5.1 when it was released, and now I get the PRL_ERR_DISK_STATES_ERROR error when starting up the VM. I tried deleting and recreating the VM, but still get the same message.
 
The Boot Camp hard disk has been successfully configured, but an unexpected error occurred when mounting the selected Boot Camp partitions back to your Mac. Use Disk Utility to mount these partitions back to your Mac
According to problem report, the Boot Camp partition cannot be mounted due to Mac OS X error -35:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1618
The following Apple support article can be used for troubleshooting:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1782
Pretty much the same hints are contained in message text itself.
 
Hi there, I'm encountering the same problem and the link you've posted to the Apple support forum doesn't answer my question. Are you saying that we should use Disk Utility to repair/verify an NTFS partition? Because that doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

It would be good if you could post a step-by-step as to how we can get Parallels using our Bootcamp partitions again.

Thank you.
 
Back
Top