Error while installing Windows

dhess7

Bit poster
I am trying to install Windows XP Pro as the virtual machine and after I insert the disc, I keep getting an error saying

boot from hard drive... failed
boot from CD/DVDROM drive... failed
boot from floppy drive...
Non-system disk or disk error
Replace and press any key when ready
 
1. Make sure that CD is bootable
You can test it restarting MacOS and holding Command key, if you can see WIndows CD as option , so it is ok
2. Try to create ISO image as described bellow
1. Insert CD/DVD source

2. Fire up a Terminal, you can then determine the device that is you CD/DVD drive using the following command:

$ drutil status
Vendor Product Rev
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-835E GAND

Type: DVD-ROM Name: /dev/disk1
Cur Write: 8x DVD Sessions: 1
Max Write: 8x DVD Tracks: 1
Overwritable: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Free: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Used: 364:08:27 blocks: 1638627 / 3.36GB / 3.13GiB
Writability:
Book Type: DVD-ROM

3. Umount the disk with the following command:

$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
Disk /dev/disk1 unmounted

4. Create the ISO file with the dd utility (may take some time):

$ dd if=/dev/disk1 of=file.iso bs=2048

5. Test the ISO image by mounting the new file (or open with Finder):

$ hdid file.iso
 
First I'd like to thank you for your help. I tried your suggestion for testing to see if the disk was bootable... I held the command key all the way through the restart and it just booted up like normal. Nothing different happened. Does this mean that it is not bootable or am I doing something wrong?
 
Back
Top