Excel performance degraded with upgrades

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Robert Grether, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Robert Grether

Robert Grether Junior Member

I recently upgraded my 32 bit install of Windows 7 Pro to a 64 bit install of Windows 10 Pro Anniversary edition. I have plenty of RAM and processing power (2015 Macbook Pro 15"), but nevertheless there has been a noticeable downgrade in the performance of Excel using the new virtual OS. I have tried a lot of things, such as turning off some of the visual effects, allocating more RAM (though never more than 1/2 of the computer's), but nothing makes a difference. There is so much less latency on my old Windows 7 virtual OS or on my PC at the office. I kept the Windows 7 OS so I am not up a creek, but I would have thought upgrading would have been a performance improvement for Excel on Parallels, not a downgrade.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Parallels 12
    Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Edit.

2. Hi, did you try to disable antivirus and check? If not, please just for tests and let us know the results.

3. Robert Grether

Robert Grether Junior Member

Yes, antivirus and Windows Defender are both disabled.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Dear Robert Grether, run a full-system scan to remove possible infections, if you didn't scan your machine before upgrading.

1. Launch the Task Manager > select the Startup tab
    2. Filter the apps according to their Startup impact rating > disable the apps with a high impact on startup, but keep security software.