Eastcoast Mac
Bit poster
Being new at this and not 100% clear on what it is I am reading at various threads and Google search, I would like to ask a couple of questions.
We have several Macs in our household, all running Snow Leopard.
(Not quite ready for Lion.)
Instead of buying a Windows netbook, which comes with Windows 7 Starter edition, I am looking at Parallels 7 and Windows 7 Home Premium, which can be bought as a bundle for a reasonable price.
(What prompted all this is rooting our Android phones (2.3.5), which turns out is a heck of a lot easier in Windows environment.)
Due to space constraints and to keep Windows completely separate from whichever machine we end up running Parallels/Windows, I would like to use an external drive dedicated to this. We have numerous OWC externals with Firewire 800/400/Sata/USB port options and capacity ranging from 300 mb - 2 TB.
(But running Windows on multiple Macs is not the goal.)
Should I create a bootable drive, complete with Snow Leopard, Parallels and Windows 7?
Can install only Parallels and Windows on the external and store/install all Windows related stuff on the external?
I also see mention of Parallels/Windows on a usb flash drive, with necessary storage on an external drive.
I did spend time searching the forum and elsewhere, but maybe I did not use the correct search terms.
Thank you for your help.
We have several Macs in our household, all running Snow Leopard.
(Not quite ready for Lion.)
Instead of buying a Windows netbook, which comes with Windows 7 Starter edition, I am looking at Parallels 7 and Windows 7 Home Premium, which can be bought as a bundle for a reasonable price.
(What prompted all this is rooting our Android phones (2.3.5), which turns out is a heck of a lot easier in Windows environment.)
Due to space constraints and to keep Windows completely separate from whichever machine we end up running Parallels/Windows, I would like to use an external drive dedicated to this. We have numerous OWC externals with Firewire 800/400/Sata/USB port options and capacity ranging from 300 mb - 2 TB.
(But running Windows on multiple Macs is not the goal.)
Should I create a bootable drive, complete with Snow Leopard, Parallels and Windows 7?
Can install only Parallels and Windows on the external and store/install all Windows related stuff on the external?
I also see mention of Parallels/Windows on a usb flash drive, with necessary storage on an external drive.
I did spend time searching the forum and elsewhere, but maybe I did not use the correct search terms.
Thank you for your help.
Last edited: