Extracting Windows Product Key from vm file

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by claveman, Jul 1, 2011.

1. claveman

claveman Bit poster

My MacBook drive is kaput. I was able to copy my Parallels 6 Windows 7 32 bit vm file to a backup disk before it died.
    I replaced the drive, and copied back over my vm file. On Parallels 6 bootup I get: "Trying to boot from Pimary Master IDE drive.. Missing operating system".

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade 64 bit DVD install disk (and full Vista Ultimate DVD set with matching product key).

Problem: I cannot find my 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade DVD (lost somewhere in my cluttered basement along with my Microsoft Product Key).

Is there any way to extract the product key from a Parallels 7 Windows VM file?

No.. I am not trying to pirate. I just can't find my Windows 7 32 bit DVD and matching product key.
    I do have my Windows 7 64 bit DVD and am ready to make the 64 bit upgrade.. but I don't have the product key. All I have is the 130GB vm Parallels 32 bit vm file from my old disk that won't bootup. Somewhere.. in this directory there must be a product key..

I could call Microsoft, but they charge to replace product keys (and aren't open until Tuesday..)

Thanks

2. claveman

claveman Bit poster

Sigh..
    Finally gave up and called Microsoft..
    Transferred (support -> contact center -> Microsoft Store - > Microsoft Customer Central) 4 times.
    The Microsoft Store did not find my 2009 "Microsoft Service Center" order number..
    On the final transfer the system told me the call could not be completed at this time.
    They are really gonna make me work to get my own product key..

3. claveman

claveman Bit poster

OK.. You might want to print this one..

How to get a replacement Windows product key:
    Call Microsoft Customer Central 800-642-7676
    Have your DVD (Store away the number on the DVD. mine was like X15-xxxxxx-xx)
    For $10 this phone number rep will give you a new PRODUCT KEY. (No Disc)
    This Microsoft employee didn't recognize my Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade 64 bit DVD number (beautiful). Its legit.. Loaded with holograms.

So.. I was sent to Microsoft Replace Parts at 1-800-360-7561
    These are the guys you want.. I gave them the DVD Disc number and they offered, for $22 + about $9 shipping&handling to send me:
    1. A new windows product key for Windows 7 Ultimate Full Retail (!)
    2. 32 bit DVD
    3. 64 bit DVD

So.. if you didn't catch it.. I own the Vista Ultimate Retail which entitled me to a Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade Retail box from the Microsoft Service Center in 2009 (which I lost). They are shipping me the FULL version (no install of Vista needed to upgrade). Whoopie!