Fallout 3 Windows 7 32bit guest crashing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Jonas Calhoun, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Jonas Calhoun

Jonas Calhoun Bit poster

Hello, I'm wondering if this is the right forum for this.

I've got a Windows 7 32bit guest for gaming on my Macbook Pro. Almost all games work just fine, performance is good enough for my tastes (Batman Arkham Asylum is very playable, so I know my system is up to snuff for most of these).

Anyway, when I try starting up the Steam version of Fallout 3 GOTY edition, I get to the birthday party, then it crashes with an application error. It's pretty consistent where. I tried turning all the graphics options down to their minimum, but it still happens.

I've seen reports of people getting Fallout 3 to run under Parallels (6.0.11992 BTW), but haven't seen any configs or more info.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Jonas Calhoun

Jonas Calhoun Bit poster

Huh. Nothing at all after a few weeks? I can't be the only one who's ever tried to run Fallout 3 under Parallels...

3. TrevorD

TrevorD Bit poster

I am getting similar problems trying to run Fallout 3 on a Windows 7 guest OS. Except it seems to crash randomly, instead of consistently. Because of this I can't get past character creation.

All my settings are on the very lowest, and I have tried both full-screen and windowed modes within the game settings on multiple resolutions with no better results.

Have you found a way to fix it?

4. Jonas Calhoun

Jonas Calhoun Bit poster

Nope, I gave up. However, I did get farther using a Windows XP VM. I stopped playing due to other commitments before it crashed--I didn't have any issues, and made it much farther than I did in the Win 7 VM. Don't know if that's any help or not though...

5. glenndrew

glenndrew Bit poster