Fatal error copying files

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ChrisR10, Feb 3, 2017.

1. ChrisR10

ChrisR10 Member

I'm getting a fatal error message when dragging and dropping image files from my host (OS X Mavericks 10.9.5) to the guest (Snow Leopard Server 10.6.8), and the copy is aborted. This happens if I'm IN Mavericks and dropping ONTO the Parallels window.

However, if I am IN the guest OS in Parallels and use the file sharing dialogue to find the file on the host, it can then be dragged in without problem.

So, you might ask, why don't I use the second method to get files into Parallels? This is where it gets more complicated.

I am running an application Journler in the guest, whose data - including preferences file - is all contained within its own folder in Application Support (which is in the host so it syncs to Dropbox). When I add any media - such as pictures - to Journler, it's set up to create an alias of the file only, and leave the original where it is - this is obviously to avoid duplication on my computer. This is why I drag FROM the host TO the app in the guest, so the app can create an alias; and that's when I get the error.

I could use the app's Import dialogue instead, but that creates a hard copy not an alias. Creating an alias in Mavericks and importing that alias directly into Journler, doesn't work.

It may be that Parallels does not allow dragging of files FROM the host ONTO the guest? It may be the only way is to be IN the guest and drag INTO the guest using the File Sharing technique? If that is so, then the manual is ambiguous, because it seems to imply you can freely drag and drop in either direction.

2. ChrisR10

ChrisR10 Member

To provide the short version (if Journler is confusing you) - why am I getting "Fatal error copying file - copy has been aborted" message when dragging/dropping FROM the host TO the guest, but not when I'm IN the guest and dragging/dropping the same file(s) using file sharing?

3. ChrisR10

ChrisR10 Member

Hello - anyone there?

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi ChrisR10,
    we suggest you to refer this article and also request you to confirm the version of Parallels Desktop you are using.

5. ChrisR10

ChrisR10 Member

I'm using Parallels 10 which suggests I SHOULD be able to do this? For the record, I would repeat : I can drag and drop from WITHIN the virtual machine, i.e. from the host to the VM sharing All Disks. What I CANNOT do is to drag FROM the host ONTO the VM when I am currently in the host. Do you understand me?

6. ChrisR10

ChrisR10 Member

Hello? Dont you people read these forums?? Why does it take so many days for you to reply to a question?

PLEASE RESPOND

7. ChrisR10

ChrisR10 Member

One week ago I was asked which version of Parallels I was using, and I replied.

Since then? Silence. Shame on you all @ Parallels. If I performed the same way in any job I've ever done, I'd be sacked by now.

8. ChrisR10

ChrisR10 Member

I am closing this topic in the slow realisation that Parallels are content for there to be shortcomings (or downright bugs) in their software, and equally content for hapless users like myself to point this out, but in their supreme laziness and complacency will either do nothing to fix the problem, or will just ignore the hapless user, despite being provided with the further information asked for.

I will recommend VMWare from now on. Goodbye Parallels, and thanks for NOTHING.