file couldn't be opened because you don't have permission to view it

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by beta_olc, May 26, 2020.

1. beta_olc

beta_olc Bit poster

I am running a Windows 10 VM using Mac OS Catalina. It generally works fine, but sometimes when I try to open a file from a folder inside the Windows VM using a Mac app, I get this error message:
    "The file "__" couldn't be opened because you don't have permission to view it."

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks.

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Depends where it actually 'is'.
    When you access the file you are actually accessing it through what is effectively a network 'share'. Now some stuff has permissions that will is designed not allow it to be shared. On these there is little you can do (you'd actually have to change the ownership). However you should be able to adjust the permissions to give your Mac access to most things.
    So what directory are the files in?.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. JoelA5

JoelA5 Bit poster

Hi, I am having the same issue. A user I support configured to open pdf files in the Windows environment with the preview from Mac. also she opens her office documents in Windows with the Mac version installed on her Mac environment. All was working fine for a while and then suddenly she started is getting these errors when she try to open Email attachments in her Outlook in Windows. So in this case the files are in the local folder where Outlook stores the attachments.
    upload_2020-9-3_16-58-47.png
    upload_2020-9-3_16-57-23.png

It would be great if you could please help.
    Thanks,
    Joel

Attached Files: