File path to a folder on my Mac Desktop

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by sduttonusa, Jun 3, 2016.

1. sduttonusa

sduttonusa Bit poster

I'm using a macro in Excel running in Parallels. The macro has the file path for saving a file on the local C drive. It works just fine in Parallels. I would like to change the macro to have the files saved into a folder on my Mac Desktop. How should I alter what's in the quotes: Filename:="C:\Exports\"

In other words, is the path to the Mac folders something that can be detailed out like the C drive?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, yes, you can! Parallels Desktop provides close integration between your Mac OS and Windows guest OS. You can access certain Mac Home folders directly from Windows and vice versa. To use this functionality, you should have Parallels Tools installed in the virtual machine and the Isolate Mac from Windows option disabled in the Security pane. Please check out this article to know more about Sharing Tools in Parallels Desktop. You may choose the destination while you are saving Macro in Excel running in Parallels Desktop.

3. sduttonusa

sduttonusa Bit poster

Finally figured it out . . . with the Home Directory being "shared", the code line to my Mac is: "Z:\Desktop\Exports\"

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @sduttonusa,
    Glad that you were able to fix it. Feel free to reach out any time.

5. RichardW22

RichardW22 Bit poster

Running Parallels 16 (Big Sur). I am trying to run a macro in Excel that will "Play A Custom Sound Based On Cell Value With VBA Code". I found the VBA code here: https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/4417-excel-play-sound-if-condition-is-true.html#a1

The macro appears to be working. I placed this formula into cell A2: =IF(A1>300,SoundMe(),"" When I enter a value greater than 300 into cell A1, the formula runs, but no sound. I think it is a problem with the pathway to the .wav file. I have tried the following pathways (and a few more I can't remember) using the default windows media folder and I copied the sound files to an "Alerts" folder on my Mac Desktop also.
    C:\windows\media\Ring01.wav
    Z:\Desktop\Alerts\Ring01.wav
    Z:\Users\rw\Desktop\Alerts\Ring01.wav