Find Duplicates nightmare

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by SteveJ13, Nov 2, 2019.

1. SteveJ13

SteveJ13 Bit poster

I ran FIND DUPLICATES from the toolbox for the first time ever a couple days ago. Computer was working fine, I closed all apps and ran FIND DUPLICATES. It rant for about 35 minutes. When the list came up of duplicates, I delete one file and then quit the app as I had to go to a meeting. At that point, all hell had broken loose. I could no longer log into my Apple Account in System Preferences, but could still log in to iCloud.com. All my emails and calendar appointments were gone. There were still on my iPhone and iPad - just not on the Mackbook Pro. Then I discovered over 1,200 files in m,y Dropbox had been deleted. Luckily Dropbox has a restore deleted files in the past 180 days so I got them back. All my apps that require licensed and require user name and password when you install them (MS Office, all my Adobe apps, etcs) have to be re-authenticated again. Luckily I have AppleCare on the Macbook and I was on the phone with tech support for 2.5 hours Friday. We did screen sharing and they downloaded diagnostic tools and I ran them and ent them a 300MB+ result files, screen shots and scren recordings and they are still stumped on why I can't log into my Apple Account in System Preferences - which of course is what is screwing up email and calendars. All this happened IMMEDIATELY after running FIND DUPLICATES. I have deleted it from my Macbook and will never run it again. I can't prove that FIND DUPLICATES did this, but all the evidence points to it.

2. SteveJ13

SteveJ13 Bit poster

Also discovered (luckily) before I emptied the trash, that there are 12,000+ files that are in there that I didn't put in there. I have moved them out and now need to go through them all one by one to see if they are originals or duplicates (or both). What a piece of $%&*! Toolbox is!

3. MsR

MsR Bit poster

The same thing just happened to me. I downloaded the Toolbox trial on my MacBook, ran Find Duplicates, then erased a handful of the largest files. I then closed it because I didn't have time to look through everything then, and planned to do it again later when I had more time.
    Later that day I happened to open my trash can and saw that there was over 20 GBs of files in there. About 4,000 files from all over my hard drive, dozens of different folders.
    I certainly did not put them there, and the only thing that happened that day differently was that I had run Find Duplicates. Coincidence? I don't think so.
    This will take me hours and hours to try and figure out what folders all of these files came from.
    Needless to say I am not impressed.

4. this just happened to me - I deleted one file but 900,000 files are in the trash - how the hell can I sort this out? at least they're still in trash but I can't restore them to the original locations
    anyone got a solution?