Forgot to compress now VM is twice the size

waylaid

Bit poster
Hi

When I installed my Windows XP VM along with all the programs I needed the VM was around 8gb. I haven't done any snapshots or saved any data to the VM (I save everything onto the Mac drive). I forgot to compress a couple of times and now the VM is 20.4 GB. It won't compress to below that now so there's a lot of bloat in the VM. Is there any way to remove the bloat and get the size back to under 10gb?

Also, does Parallels have an auto compress? When i first started using it I didn't know about needing to compress the VM and it grew to over 100gb! Ended up re-installing...

Thanks
Russell
 
Autocompress in Parallels is in Configure --> Options --> Optimisation --> Free space.

I suggest you to use WIndows Defragmenter in order to allocate al the data and get rid of unused space. Defragment the disk and try to run compression again
 
I defragmented and then ran Windows' disk clean-up utility and deleted 9.5gb of temp data. I ran Parallels' compressor and the VM size reduced to 12.5gb.

When I looked in the 'optimization' options 'Automatically compress' was already ticked so does that mean it's not working?
 
It is working, but obviously i has a lot of temp data - which Parallels cannot remove for you. It can compress only if you have some free space inside VM
 
Back
Top