FreeBSD Host OS

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by wcf3, Mar 23, 2006.

1. VokinLoksar

VokinLoksar Bit poster

Once again, this thread is for FreeBSD host support.

Can Tim or anyone else from Parallels please give a status update on using FreeBSD as primary OS? Seeing as you already support Mac, I can't imagine that porting it to FreeBSD (or any other BSD for that matter) is significantly difficult. I'm currently in a position to purchase multiple licenses for a VM product, but it must run on a FreeBSD host.

Thanks.

2. sibyfi

sibyfi Bit poster

Has there been anymore discussion on this internally and what is the status?

3. jkc120

jkc120 Bit poster

Still no word? It's been nearly a year and a half since "it was being considered". I guess they stopped considering it. :( Time to take our money elsewhere I guess...maybe VMware will provide a FreeBSD guest version?

4. Steve Pole

Steve Pole Bit poster

Maybe in 2008 ?

This thread has been running for almost 2 years now and there still is no news on the state of FreeBSD as a Parallels host OS.

Are there any developments ?

5. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

With 6.2 the only problem I have is the audio that doesn't work.

Anybody tried with the new 7.0 release of fBSD?

thank and regards

Salvo

6. salmanq

salmanq Bit poster

7. Relan

Relan Parallels Developers

There is no development on porting Parallels to *BSD. I don't think there will be BSD primary OS support in 2008.

8. Nadir

Nadir Bit poster

Why not?

If you support FreeBSD as a host OS you have an unique selling point

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

And same if you build a COBOL API. Parallels needs to see a large enough market for it; I do not suspect FreeBSD has a large enough market. RHEL, Windows, and CentOS seem to make up a good deal of the market and OS X Virtulization will be a niche point.