Freeing space doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChristophK2, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5
    Parallels 13.3.2 (43368)

When trying to free space I got this screen:

Clicking on "Platz freigeben" the screen switches to Windows 10, seems to restart Windows and rests at the Windows login screen. But nothing really happens. The window stays in this state and I could click "Platz freigeben" again without any noticeable progress.

Attached Files:

2. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

I believe I solved it. I went into Windows 10 and started manually the disk cleaning and enabled drive compression.
    This ran about for 7 hours, freed about 30GB and the cleaning Window is gone. Seems, all tasks to free disk space are fulfilled now.

3. Hi ChristophK2. Nice to know that you were able to sort out the issue and thanks for sharing the steps that resolved it. Please post again for any additional queries.

4. RobinJ2

RobinJ2 Bit poster

Been having similar issues with 'High Sierra 10.13.4' running Windows 7 (Home Premium) through Parallels.
    I just went into Programmes>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup. First time wasn't too successful but then I realised I needed to hit the button "clean system files" also - doing that found 10GB of junk. Don't understand (in above post) what is "drive compression"? can this be activated in Windows 7? if so how??
    Thanks, Rob
    PS one weird thing - I have a 128GB hard drive on the Mac, when I go into Windows "disk properties" it's telling me the drive is 255GB total

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018