Parallels developers, users, and those smart enough to read user forums before purchasing shoddy software and otherwise wasting your own valuable time and money:
In short, this software usually works -- oh, except when I get a notice that a new build is available. After installing that, all my virtual systems are either corrupted and useless or I get repeated kernel panics or spinning beachballs of death while Parallels tries to get its crap together. In any case I end up resorting to an uninstall followed by a reinstall of the most recent build that DID work.
The last Parallels build that i had working under Mac OS 10.4.9 was build 4128, followed by a successful install of build 5160. After that, any new build I tried to install resulted in the symptoms listed above and countless hours lost trying to sort it all out.
Then i upgraded to Leopard. And....everything was still working great. Shortly I received notice that build 5582 was ready and recommended. Not learning from the previous experiences - I installed it. What a mistake. Nothing works, everything I've tried has failed. Previous OSs are toast. Fresh installs of XP bomb during install in one form or another. So.....as a last resort I downloaded VMware fusion. No problems. XP installed perfectly on the first go. The system is 100% faster. Now I get to pony up the $80 they want so I can have a PC dev environment for testing websites in IE on PC.
What a joke. Parallels, i want my money back. VMware has you beat. And from what I've read on these forums my experience is not a singular one. I have computer skills and know what I'm doing. You guys need to get your act together or you will be out of business.....you've already lost mine.
Thanks,
Patrick
In short, this software usually works -- oh, except when I get a notice that a new build is available. After installing that, all my virtual systems are either corrupted and useless or I get repeated kernel panics or spinning beachballs of death while Parallels tries to get its crap together. In any case I end up resorting to an uninstall followed by a reinstall of the most recent build that DID work.
The last Parallels build that i had working under Mac OS 10.4.9 was build 4128, followed by a successful install of build 5160. After that, any new build I tried to install resulted in the symptoms listed above and countless hours lost trying to sort it all out.
Then i upgraded to Leopard. And....everything was still working great. Shortly I received notice that build 5582 was ready and recommended. Not learning from the previous experiences - I installed it. What a mistake. Nothing works, everything I've tried has failed. Previous OSs are toast. Fresh installs of XP bomb during install in one form or another. So.....as a last resort I downloaded VMware fusion. No problems. XP installed perfectly on the first go. The system is 100% faster. Now I get to pony up the $80 they want so I can have a PC dev environment for testing websites in IE on PC.
What a joke. Parallels, i want my money back. VMware has you beat. And from what I've read on these forums my experience is not a singular one. I have computer skills and know what I'm doing. You guys need to get your act together or you will be out of business.....you've already lost mine.
Thanks,
Patrick