Full Screen Multiple Display Issue with Mavericks/Windows 8.1/Parallels 9

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Dan Corcoran, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Dan Corcoran

Dan Corcoran Bit poster

I upgraded to Mavericks today after upgrading to Parallels 9 over a month ago and Windows 8.1 last week. I am running the latest builds of all of these.

After upgrading to Mavericks this afternoon, I can no longer see my Windows 8.1 desktop on my second monitor. The view setting "Use All Displays in Full Screen" is selected. I have tried switching in and out of full screen view with no luck. I have reinstalled Parallels Tools several times with no effect. When I look at my windows in Mission control, I can see the second desktop. It appears as a windowed application in my primary Mac OSX workspace, but when I select it, it does not appear - I just go back to the primary workspace and see any other windows I happen to have open, but not the Windows desktop.

Any light you can shed on this issue would be appreciated. For now, I am relegated to using my Windows VM with only one display.

2. Growler48

Growler48 Bit poster

I'm having the EXACT same issue! Please fix!!!!

3. coopermoto really

coopermoto really Bit poster

And another one. iMac 27" with a 27" Thunderbolt display. Windows VM only shows full screen on the iMac display.

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

Make sure you have the latest PD 9.0.23136. If not, Check for updates via Parallels Desktop menu.

5. BjørnH

BjørnH Bit poster

I updated to Windows 8.1 today, but have not updated to Maverics and I have the same problem. I am running the latest Parallels Desktop 9 update

6. coopermoto really

coopermoto really Bit poster

Thanks, that's a big improvement. It must be a very new update as I checked yesterday after installing Mavericks and there were no Parallels updates available.

So I now have my Windows VM displayed across both screens :)

One minor niggle remaining is when swiping back to OS X only the screen containing the cursor moves but I guess that's just the Mavericks way.

7. BjørnH

BjørnH Bit poster

I uninstalled ParallelsTools from the Windows Control Panel, and then installed it again. That fixed my screen issue as well as another issue I had With shared filed between MAc and Windows

8. Dan Corcoran

Dan Corcoran Bit poster

I am running the latest build: Build 9.0.23136

I tried uninstalling Parallels tools from the control panel as you suggested. The only problem is now I cannot reinstall them for some reason. When I choose install parallels tools, I get a message that instructs me that if setup does not begin immediately, to select my CD drive in Windows and click Setup.exe. ha. I can't use my mouse to select the cd drive because I uninstalled Parallels Tools.

9. BjørnH

BjørnH Bit poster

Try to open the Windows file Explorer. You should see a drive named Parallel Tools. If you are able to navigate to that drive and open it, the installation should start.

10. Dan Corcoran

Dan Corcoran Bit poster

I was able to reinstall Parallels tools using the keyboard to navigate. It reinstalled, but this did not fix the original issue with the displays. Disappointing.

11. serv

serv Forum Maven

Dan,

Generate a problem report via Parallels Help menu and post report ID here.

12. Dan Corcoran

Dan Corcoran Bit poster

Here is the report ID: 30140926

13. serv

serv Forum Maven

Thanks for the report. What I can see is that Parallels tools did react properly to display config change, but something went wrong on OS X side. I'll forward that appropriate person for investigation.

14. Growler48

Growler48 Bit poster

I came back this evening and now it's working fine! Don't know what happened, but I'm good to go!

15. Dan Corcoran

Dan Corcoran Bit poster

Unfortunately, I am still experiencing this issue.

16. classen

classen Bit poster

I'm seeing similar problems with 10.7.5/Windows 8.1/Parallels 9

I'm new to Windows 8, but my previous virtual Windows (XP), worked fine in dual monitor mode. I just upgraded to Build 9.0.23140 from this past Friday October 25th, but I've still found no combination of settings that will allow my Windows 8.1 VM to use both monitors.

17. Ryan DeCorby

Ryan DeCorby Bit poster

I would highly recommend you do not uninstall Parallels Tools, that rendered my Windows 8.1 Guest OS unstartable and I had to roll back to a restore point. I have the problem where the resolution is not matching the Mac and it will not map to the home directories. Whatever that last update was it messed up a lot.

18. Ryan DeCorby

Ryan DeCorby Bit poster

Something I just tried and worked was rather than reinstalling Parallels tools, I went into Device Manager and selected from the devices lists the ones causing problems and selected Update Driver. Once it searched for the correct driver it switched to Parallels drivers and resolved the issue. Kind of a pain, but certainly easier than trying to uninstall. Windows 8.1 will not start if you uninstall.

19. neilgreene

neilgreene Bit poster

I just went into System Preferences --> Mission Control and disabled "Displays have separate Spaces" for OS Mavericks and everything works as it did before with matching 2 monitor desktop setups.

20. FearTec

FearTec Bit poster

This worked for me too..

Thanks, I hated the single desktop change for each monitor on 10.9.