Function keys require me to press fn button

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Michael Pitt, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Hi

I've recently purchased a new mechanical keyboard for my Mac and while the function keys work as I would expect them to on my Mac (i.e. I can just use them without holding the fn button), in my Windows 11 VM in Parallels, I have to hold the fn button down.

The setting in macOS to "Use F1, F2 etc as standard function keys" is on and works as expected in macOS - it's just Windows that isn't respecting this. I didn't have this issue with the Apple Magic Keyboard I've just replaced.

Any ideas on how I can fix this as it's driving me nuts :)

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. Maxim Rasulov

Maxim Rasulov Staff Member

Hello Mike,
    Thank you for reaching out to us.

Please let us know if the issue persists if you connect the keyboard directly into the virtual machine.
    In the virtual machine top bar -> Devices -> USB&Bluetooth -> Click on your keyboard. It will connect it directly to the virtual machine, to return it back to the way it was, just perform the same steps.

Some keyboards may also have an fn-lock function, or different modes of operation, so to make more suggestions we would need to know the keyboard model.

If the keyboard will function the normal way connected exclusively to the virtual machine, please let us know the model of the keyboard and collect an additional technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us the report's 9-digit ID.

3. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Hi

Thanks Maxim, it was the fn lock that was weirdly changing when I went between macOS and Windows. All sorted now :)

Thanks,
    Mike.