Function Keys When Using Bluetooth Keyboard - Specific Windows App

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Parallels User, May 27, 2020.

1. I'm running Parallels Desktop 14 on my Mac OS. There's a windows application I run in Parallels (Windows 10) where I need to hit the F1 key to access a certain menu. When I'm on my MacBook Pro which has the Touch Bar, this isn't an issue as the F1 key on the Touch Bar triggers the action in the Windows Application.
    However, I've noticed when I'm using an external bluetooth keyboard, I now need to use the FN key along with F1 to trigger the same thing in the Windows Application within the VM. Is there a workaround for this? Any ideas/suggestions how I might be able to reprogram the F1 key on the bluetooth keyboard to act the same way as the Touch Bar without changing the system preferences on the Mac so that all function keys are changed?

2. pmconaway

pmconaway Member

A1MB1G - I'm wondering if it is specific to setting to the keyboard? I've configured my MBP keyboard to require me to hold down the fn key to access the media portion of the function keys. I don't have an external keyboard hooked up to this mac but can you look at your system preferences with the external keyboard connected and see if the "Use F1, F2, etc. as standard function key item is checked when using that keyboard? Also, is there any specific software that you external keyboard came with? Check settings there as well.