Gnome Shell and Cinnamon blue screen glitch issues.

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ShahnawazS, Oct 30, 2013.

1. phearus

phearus Junior Member

I want a refund too.

Does anyone know any influential bloggers / internet-news outfits? This needs to be brought to the greater interwebs attention - "Parallels doesn't actually support Linux." Without such a public "tar-and-feathering," nothing is going to happen.

When they finally do fix-it - it will be "too-little, too-late," and the annual Parallels collection-box will begin circulating again. "If you want the fix - upgrade!"

I'm willing to take the performance hit over support vs. "lip-service" support we get with Parallels. It comes down to what is practical. No matter how "buttery-smooth" Parallels may run when it works properly (on the very short list of supported distros) - the fact of the matter is that it currently does not even work properly on its documented-supported distros.

You can increase your VM's graphics to 256MB - just edit the *.vbox xml entry - though this makes little observable difference. Note though, 256MB is the upper ceiling on the graphics-memory. Having said that - you are right - VirtualBox does incur a graphics performance hit. At least it works though.

While it is good that Elementary OS works - I would guess this is a fluke, as opposed to by design on Parallels part. I would like to be using some newer than 2-year-old libraries - which is why I want Arch support.

BTW - just updated my kernel to 3.12 yesterday on my VirtualBox Arch VM. Nice!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. d3xt3r

d3xt3r Bit poster

Problem report 31126463

3. ShahnawazS

ShahnawazS Junior Member

I've installed VirtualBox 4.3.2 and tested Ubuntu 13.10. I was actually surprised that the graphics ran faster than I previously experienced. Moving the windows around was pretty smooth, even though it had tearing but still impressive.

That said, the same issue I had faced last year with the Ubuntu guest under VirtualBox is still there. Scrolling the page on Firefox, Chrome, LibreOffice, etc. is so slow. The page scrolling is playing catch up with the mouse movement. It just makes it unusable.

Fedora 19 has slow graphics performance under VB 4.3.2, but is a lot more stable.

I haven't tried elementary OS nor Linux Mint on VB 4.3.2. I can imagine they would work well, but I would still question on the graphics performance.

I'm still waiting Parallels for the fix...

4. KarstenB

KarstenB Bit poster

so - there is a update being pushed out to day lets see if they updated parallels tools and if it fixes these issues

5. KarstenB

KarstenB Bit poster

same bluescreen crap! what the hell ???? these guys push out a major update and totally forget about linux ???

I paid for 2 udpates now and cant get fedora working on either of them ????? Going to dump this crap and use VMWARE

6. KarstenB

KarstenB Bit poster

Well, happy to say that I got a refund and am moving over to VMware. Their drivers are OSS and are a part of the Fedora 19 stack so at least I dont have to worry about my desktop going unsupported every time there is a update.

Wish you guys all best of luck here and hope that they will pay more attention to linux.

7. beta_mmpestorich

beta_mmpestorich Bit poster

Just upgraded to Gnome 3.10. Now I'm getting the blue artifacts accross the screen. Parallels please fix this! Either have to downgrade my software or move to another VM!

8. phearus

phearus Junior Member

How'd you get a refund out of them?

9. millix

millix Junior Member

FWIW, I was told this issue (flashing blue screen) was not being addressed and recommended that I switch to KDE (lol), but at least with the latest 9.0 build 24172 they did fix a hard VM crash I was experiencing rather frequently when I'd close a Chrome tab with full GPU hardware render support turned on (in Chrome). http://kb.parallels.com/en/117225

10. LucasR

LucasR Bit poster

11. JarrodD

JarrodD Bit poster

Try adding the following line to your /etc/environment file and reboot:

This fixed the issue for me in the latest versions of Ubuntu, Mint, Elementary OS, and Fedora. Ubuntu still popped up a error dialog box on OS start complaining about a monitor setting, but it otherwise operated just fine after closing that.

12. LucasR

LucasR Bit poster

This worked! Thank you so much.

13. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

This worked for me too: Fedora 18: 3.11.10-100.fc18.i686.PAE

Huge kudos for that! Thanks!

14. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi All,
    Thanks for posting the problem report IDs.
    Development team is aware of this issue and is working on a fix.
    Please subscribe to this KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/117045 The article will be updated once the fix is available.

15. Gaetan

Gaetan Bit poster

Shame on Parallels; I installed new VM's just this weekend and .... the same problem(s) reoccur after installing Parallels Tools!
    No changes have been made to Parallels Tools just yet?

I also did the same thing JarrodD proposed:

Try adding the following line to your /etc/environment file and reboot:

CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
    unquote

That works!!

How come Parallels does not alter / adapt their Parallels Tools?

Rgrds,

Ed