Going from 2016 Intel MacBook Pro to 2023 M2 MacBook Pro: Encrypted FileVault or not?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by fjpfjp, Jan 26, 2023.

1. fjpfjp

fjpfjp Bit poster

I just received my 2023 M2 MacBook Pro and want to try to make everything correct to install Parallels, Windows 11 (ARM) and Lexware Quicken/FinanzManager.

So far two questions:
    1) Has anybody experience based on the M1 MacBook Pro or the M2 MacBook Air if Lexware Quicken/FinanzManager runs on the new Apple machines?
    2) I understood that on my 2016 Intel MacBook Pro I could not activate the Apple encrypted FileVault in order to run Parallels Desktop and Windows 10 without problems. How is it with the new M1/M2 machines? Can I activate the encrypted FileVault?

Many thanks in advance!

F.

2. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

While I'm not running this exact product, however I AM running the US version of both Quicken AND QuickBooks on an M1 Mac and Parallels Desktop 18. They both work fine.

I suggest keeping the QB database under a folder at C:\users\name\QuickBooks. It has been my experience that if the QB database is in a folder that is part of a cloud drive (e.g., OneDrive) then the app runs into problems. I haven't had that issue with Quicken however.

fjpfjp likes this.
  3. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

I forgot to mention that I'm always running my Mac with the encrypted FileVault setting turned ON. Works fine.

Performance Tip on macOS Ventura -- One thing to always do is to exempt your Parallels VM from Spotlight Search indexing. You do this by adding the folder containing your VMs (mine is /Users/Shared/Parallels) to the excluded folders under System Preferences > Siri & Spotlight and click on Spotlight Privacy at the bottom. Add the folder to this window by either dragging it in or hitting the + button and navigating to that folder.

fjpfjp likes this.
  4. ChadA5

ChadA5 Bit poster

I am trying to transfer my permanent (One Time use License) from my old mac to my new M2 mac. I just paid $119 for the upgrade as well. However, it gives me this message instead of what my reading tells me (Activate this mac) should be the modal message, instead I get:

[This key cannot be used to activate Parallels Desktop.] Realy helpful.

I now have paid more money and cannot activate it, and I cannot call or chat with support. I need this for work. I submitted a ticket, but I am confident it will be days of back and forth. I tried logging into Paypal to cancel, but it was too late, and now I cannot even go to another product as my budget has been blown for this feature need. It is truly my favorite. When you buy a product, it does not activate, and the solution is to charge you for a phone call--super excellent customer service.

5. fjpfjp

fjpfjp Bit poster

Dear SamS4, thank you very much for taking the time to write down these tips. Extremely helpful and it gives me some trust and peace of mind.
    Some more questions: I read when your are installing Parallels Desktop on the new MacBooks, it will ask for a Windows version and license (my first time installation of PM and W10 was in 2016, don't remember anymore): (1) I read it has to be a specific version of Windows 11 based on the ARM technology. Do you have some more information which exact version to choose? (2) Is it true that I can use my old Windows 10 license key in order to activate the new Windows (ARM) 11? I assume I have to strip off the registration and license key of all three programs (Quicken/FinanzManager, Parallels Desktop, Windows) first from the old MacBook in order to install them on the new MacBook?

Thanks again and in advance!
    F.

6. fjpfjp

fjpfjp Bit poster

Thanks Michael, it worked exactly as you said: Very comfortable to install Windows 11 through Parallels and I could apply my old Windows 10 license.
    Now after some weeks of usage, I can report everything works perfectly!

MichaelH63 likes this.
  7. JamesM58

JamesM58 Bit poster

Ok, thanks. I will keep it in my mind. I appreciate you.