Going online away from home in WinXP mode

rockypop

Bit poster
I needed to buy a notebook for work so that when I'm away from the office or home I can still access the internet. Since I've always wanted to own a mac, why not just get a macbook and install WinXP(for work purposes). My question is after I install Parallels and then WinXP, what are my options on connecting to the internet while on the road besides the coffee shops. I've only had this notebook 2 days so I'm still trying to get familiarized with everything.

Can I install a T-Mobile or Verizon card into my mac or is the built in card enough?

I don't need internet access 24/7, just when I'm "On Call" away from home. I'm "On Call" 2 weeks in a row, every 8 weeks.

Any tips are greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.
 
rockypop said:
Can I install a T-Mobile or Verizon card into my mac or is the built in card enough?
will need a mac os driver

just google
Verizon card macintosh driver
or
Verizon card T-Mobile driver

you *may* be able to us a 3G mobile phone as a router or modem or dial up down USB lead

Hugh W
 
Rocky,
I'm very new to Mac and parallels, but figured out how to hook up my Verizon Treo 700p as a modem while on the road. I used a program called PDANet (available here: http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/) It only works on Windows and is available for Palm OS or Windows Mobile. I installed it on the Windows XP side of my MAC thru the Palm HotSync tool and was able to connect immediately. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use the Bluetooth connection, as it appears that OS X *grabs* the bluetooth function and it isn't available to the XP/Parallels side (yet!) I read somewhere here that I might be able to get the bluetooth part to work with a USB dongle, but haven't tried that yet. It worked flawlessly with the USB cable though.
I also spoke to Verizon yesterday and if thats your cell phone provider, they offer a small program you can install from their website (its only available for Windows tho) that will allow you to use your phone as a modem, but they want to charge me $15/month on top of their already ridiculous monthly data plan, so I passed.
Hope this helps.
 
Back
Top