Guest OS as Gateway for Host OS

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ChristianH123, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ChristianH123

ChristianH123 Bit poster

Hi,

I am trying to accomplish the following: Configure my Host OS (OSX 10.7.2) to use my VM running a pfsense VM as a highly secure and customizable Firewall and Internet Gateway. I want the pfsense VM to handle all networking.

So to "draw" this, the typical internet access would go as follows (example):

Safari under Host (OSX) -> VM LAN Interface -> pfsense -> VM WAN Interface -> Network (WLAN or wired)

... and backwards ...

Somebody on the Internet -> VM WAN Interface -> pfsense -> VM LAN Interface -> Host (OSX)

I know, of course, that there is always the OSX Network layer "in the way", but I just want it to transparently pass the network traffic on to the VM and then receive it back to give it to OSX.

I have tried to use one network adapter in the VM as "bridged" and one as "host only" and then tried to change the default routes on Mac OS X to work through the VM, but I saw some strange behavior.

Can anyone point me to a Howto/ documentation to configure something like this?

Thanks!

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Christian -
    check your private messages - i have posted a possible workaround for you

3. RakanO

RakanO Bit poster

I am trying to achieve something similar to be able to use a windows only VPN client, YanaYana I was wondering if you can share your workaround please? Thanks!

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

It is not officially supported and i cannot post it to this public forum. But i can send you the instruction in private message so that you can play around and try to make it work.

5. spordniar

spordniar Bit poster

Hi YanaYana, it'd be great if you can PM the information to me as well, thanks so much in advance!

6. RajaReddy

RajaReddy Bit poster

Dear YanaYana,
    I am trying to accomplish a similar setup, can you please post the solution to my private msgs..Thanks a ton for the info.

Regards
    Raja

7. YanaYana

YanaYana

Answered in private message

8. maryam

maryam Bit poster

Guest Os as Internet Gateway for Host OS

Can you please post the solution to my PM.Thanks a lot

9. YanaYana

YanaYana

sure - check your inbox

10. micha.rave

micha.rave Bit poster

Hi YanaYana,

I am trying to accomplish a similar setup, with Linux as guest (and Checkpoint SNX VPN client).
    Can you please send me the information on private?

Thanks,
    Micha

11. YanaYana

YanaYana

Sure - done

12. BMbrown

BMbrown Bit poster

Me too

I'm trying to have pfSense act as a gateway for the other guest OS's for a virtual lab. Does your unsupported solution help me with that? If so, can you send it to me too? Thanks very much in advance!

13. YanaYana

YanaYana

Not really - but check personal messages - it might be helpful anyway.

14. MylesC

MylesC Bit poster

Hi YanaYana,

Can you please send me the information please

Thanks

15. juzery

juzery Bit poster

I am trying to do the same thing. I have spent countless hours trying to get this to work, but no luck.

I am using an EVDO USB Modem that's only supported in Windows.

I followed instructions and got this to work just ONCE, and cannot replicate it again for the life of me.

Can someone please shed some light on how I can get this to work again? Or a way for me to test the connection from Mac side to Windows side on 192.168.0.1 (reference above link).

Help will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  16. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hello,

please check private messages.

17. tbharthur

tbharthur Bit poster

Hi YanaYana,

Can you please send the solution this way as well?

Thanks,
    Arthur

18. Joe Zhang

Joe Zhang Bit poster

YanaYana or anyone knows, may I have the solution via private message? Thanks a lot!

19. DarrylZ

DarrylZ Junior Member

Please send me any information on using Windows virtual-machine VPN on my host Mac.

Thanks
    Darryl Z

20. WisamA

WisamA Bit poster

Hi YanaYana,

Kindly, can I have the same instruction as well, as I'm facing the same problem with my Cisco Anyconnect

Regards