Guest OS DNS requests not forwarded to DNS server

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mwille64, Dec 10, 2013.

1. mwille64

mwille64 Member

IGNORE THIS POSTING - Not a Parallels issue

My home as well as my office networks are protected by Mikrotik firewall routers. These routers allow the configuration of local DNS entries for internal servers. Anything unknown is then forwarded to the configured provider's DNS server(s).

Whilst this works perfectly for OSX itself (it finds the respective local machines by their names as defined in the routers local DNS table), my Windows 7 VM doesn't.

ipconfig /all states the correct gateway and DNS server address (the Mikrotik router). However, running a ping using the machine names returns...

Ping request could not find host <hostname>...

Doing the same in OSX using a tool called NetScan works just fine.

Anything else works just fine in the guest OS (e.g. internet).

Any idea what could cause this?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,

Do I understand right that you are using Bridged Networking (in case of Shared there would be addresses of internal subnet of Parallels, 10.211.55.1)?

If you are really using bridged, then likely it is not a Paralles-related issue. But just to exclude one unlikely option, try to switch temporary to emulation of network card Realtek. For PD9 this could be done in VMConfig->Hardware->Networking. For PD8 and PD7 relate to http://kb.parallels.com/en/9041

3. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Correct, I'm using Bridged Network using the Default Adapter. Will try your suggestion.

4. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Ignore this posting, it is indeed no Parallels issue. It is the Mikrotik router or Windows not handling the network configurations right.