Guest OS problems

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by GeorgeS3, Jan 24, 2023.

1. GeorgeS3

GeorgeS3 Bit poster

I have been using older versions of PD for years, but recently added PD17 to my Monterey / Macbook Pro, and with it Mojave as a guest OS in order to be able to run 32-bit applications. My Macbook Pro complies with all resource requirements (and not just the minimum).
    Totally unexpected I am facing multiple problems (after years of running windows as guest OS without any problems). I have done everything a experienced user can do such as reinstalling the guest OS, reinstall PD tools, carefully exploring and changing settings in the prefs dialog (for PD, for Mojave, etc.) Nevertheless many frustrating problems remain. Here is a short list of the most prominent ones:
    - coherence doesn't work at all,
    - graphics only work in one screen resolution,
    - whenever the launch pad is started, the guest OS system freezes, sometimes coming back after a while, many times stalling the system,
    - some native apps run okay, some don't, most annoying example of the later kind : Joplin note taking app (it ran fine under Mojave w/o PD)
    - file selector boxes work inside the guest OS, if the destination is in the local user folder, NOT if it's a shared folder from the host OS,
    - etc, etc.
    Let me add I am using recommended settings for # of processors and memory, but even changing these settings doesn't help and the problems remain.
    Not inspiring a lot of confidence.
    Is this guest OS (Mojave) really demanding so much more resources than shown here : https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/resources/ Are the published requirements simply wrong ? Or are there other problems I am not aware of ?

2. GeorgeS3

GeorgeS3 Bit poster

Forgot to add, main system running with an SSD, and 100GB of free space available. Problems started as soon as a clean Mojave was installed, even before any applications were installed under the guest OS.

3. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

1. Run the Virtual Machine.
    2. Click Parallels icon > Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools.
    3. Restart the Virtual Machine.

If the issue still persists, please collect a technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send us the 9-digit ID.

4. AJ_7

AJ_7 Bit poster

I appreciate your response, but like to remind you that I stated clearly in my OP that I "reinstalled PD tools".
    I can send a few screenshots through this forum, but I cannot allow the collection of data on that computer without knowing "for sure" what data is gathered and uploaded. I have reasons to believe that the "send tech data" command does not provide the user with enough insight into what is gathed. Thankers for your understanding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2023