has anyone? encryption options

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Tony Carreon, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

has anyone tried / tested the differences / performance between turning on filevault in mac os vs turning on encryption for the vm only?

just curious if one seems to perform better than the other (just thinking out loud i would expect filevault > pvm encryption)

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Tony,
    An encryption module is provided by Parallels and is built into the Parallels Desktop. The built-in module uses a sufficiently strong and fast encryption algorithm.
    FileVault will add the same additional time to complete file operations with an SSD as it does with an HDD. Since the SSD is faster, FileVault's performance hit will actually be more noticeable! I use FileVault on my (hybrid drive equipped) MBP and felt no performance difference, although I'd expect running a benchmark program would show something. Go ahead and turn on FileVault on your Mac if you have SSD disk. Turn Encryption on in Windows virtual machine if you have HDD.

3. SimonE4

SimonE4 Bit poster

I have an open ticket with support to find out what the sufficiently strong and fast algorithm above actually is. Am toying with using this or bit locker on a Win10 vm..

4. Please share the results in this thread, once you receive it.. if it's not a big deal.

5. SimonE4

SimonE4 Bit poster