HD FaceTime camera does not work with PD 12

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Evgenijm, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Evgenijm

Evgenijm Bit poster

I have found the rather strange behavior of the HD FaceTime camera at MacBook Pro 15" Retina with OS X Sierra and Parallels Desktop 12. Camera works perfectly with Face Time, Photo Booth and Skype if PD 12 does not launched. But when PD 12 is started (even without loading any VM) the HD FaceTime camera stops to work. It can be available only after restart of the OS X (without PD12). Could you help me to fix the problem? Thanks in advance.

AndyB9 likes this.
  2. AndyB9

AndyB9 Junior Member

I have exactly the same issue. As soon as Parallels Desktop 12 is launched (Windows 10 VM not started) my FaceTime HD camera stops working. I have
    Version 12.0.2 (41353).

3. Guys, did you try to reinstall Parallels Tools and Camera drivers?

4. Did you have this issue before?

5. RubensC

RubensC Bit poster

The problem start with Macos Sierra and Parallels 12. When Parallels start the camera wont work in any Mac app and dont appear in windows too.

6. AndyB9

AndyB9 Junior Member

I only installed Parallels 12 on the 14th of October so why would I need to reinstall Tools and Camera drivers already? I mean, If I have to do that I will....but how do I reinstall the camera drivers exactly? Is there a documented procedure for this?

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

we are still working on the issue (it appears to be a Mac OS issue), but at the time there is a workaround: see http://kb.parallels.com/en/124015
    There is a simple utility that restarts the facetime camera and make it work without reboot of Mac OS

Evgenijm likes this.
  8. DannyJ1

DannyJ1 Bit poster

I have tried the fix and it did not work.
    Do you have now a real fix for this problem?

9. Evgenijm

Evgenijm Bit poster

You can read about temporary solution of the problem in the above contribution of Parallels Developer Elric (Oct 20, 2016). It works well at my MacBook Pro 15' (Retina, Mid 2102) with Mac OS 10.12.2+PD 12.1.1 (41491).

10. AndyB9

AndyB9 Junior Member

Hate to say it DannyJ1 but the fix worked for me. It would be good to get a permanent fix though. Parallels Support: when will a permanent fix be available?

11. DannyJ1

DannyJ1 Bit poster

I have tried again the fix, and in my case it doesn't work!

12. DannyJ1

DannyJ1 Bit poster

More precisely, if Parallels Desktop is still running, the fix does not work. I have to stop Parallels Desktop, then run the fix, and only then the camera works!

13. jebworks

jebworks Member

Fix didn't work for me. I've now wasted considerable time with re-starts, log-outs to get the camera working again. I have to run Parallels daily for a key software application that only works in Windows. At the same time I have to have access to the FaceTime Camera for webinars I'm running. I really can't go through these time consuming hoops to have this work.
    Parallels, This is a real serious bug in your software that needs to be solved ASAP.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  14. jebworks

jebworks Member

Just a follow-up to my previous comment directed at a Parallels moderator: I notice in this thread that this issue has been reported back in early October and remains unsolved. This is not acceptable in my opinion. The paid upgrade to version 12 was promoted as being fully compatible with and ideal for Mac OS Sierra but has a significant bug that disables a key feature of MacOS Sierra that didn't exist in version 11.

15. DannyJ1

DannyJ1 Bit poster

You are right!
    In addition to this thread, I have opened a service request, and they have decided to declare it resolved although they did not solve the problem because they do not have yet ETA for the solution! I do not know what to do! Each time I want to use the camera, I have to close Parallels Desktop and run the fix. It is most annoying.
    Does anybody have any idea how to persuade them to solve the problem in a reasonable time?

16. jebworks

jebworks Member

For the past two days the camera has been working fine while Parallels is running. I don't know if this is a permanent fix or the work around which I haven't launched for that period of time.

17. RichardB14

RichardB14 Bit poster

I have tried that workaround, and it just tells me that the "command is not found."

18. LeighM1

LeighM1 Bit poster

Any word on a real fix? This has been going on for more than four months. Most of the time, the work around doesn't work. I have tried EVERYTHING - reinstalling the OS, resetting PRAM, SMC (spelling?) etc. Not to glad I went to Parallels 12. Parallels 12 gave me another undocumented feature: I also have to keep changing the network setting between WiFi and Shared Network, randomly and inexplicably, should I want to use the Internet.

19. Sergey_Ermolaev

Sergey_Ermolaev Bit poster

Nobody in Parallels is working on the FaceTime camera outage issue. I wonder if they will dare to present their next release with this problem still pending.

20. AndyB9

AndyB9 Junior Member

Hi,

I am **STILL** experiencing this exact issue in macOS High Sierra. Is it ever going to get fixed?

Andy