The only reason I bought a Macbook is so I could ALSO use WindowsXP. I like (as was told to me) how everything just works on a Mac. But after spending about 5 hours trying to get Parallels to work as advertised, I'm fed up. Now that I finally got it installed (after a million configuration tweaks - which is what I was trying to get away from by buying a Mac) I decided to download the new beta so I could drag and drop between OS's. NOTHING WORKS. I click coherence and it just sits there. I try to drag a word document from Mac to Windows and it just slides right back to the Mac side when I let go of the mouse button. I've tried to install Parallel Tools so many times its crazy. It should just install automatically along with the majority of the program. I have the little icon in the bottom right corner of Windows, I can select and deselect P-Tools config options, but the upper toolbar for Parallels still gives me an option to "Install Parallels Tools". Clicking on it will eventually change the upper tool bar to read "Cancel Parallels Tools Install?" Its already installed!
This has got to be the worst program for any newbie to try to install. The instructions for Parallels Tools says to be running VM and logged into the OS. Aren't I logged into the OS automatically? Windows starts automatically and takes me right to my desktop. From there I've been trying to install the tools. When I finally get it to where I think its installed correctly (I finally get a wizard installation program to come up), I still get that upper toolbar asking me if I want to install Parallels Tools! If I sign out of VM and sign back in I get a window saying my "Parallels Tools are inconsistent with the current version of Parallels installed (this is after I upgraded to the beta). Then It tells me to go to VM & click Install Parallels Tools. Of course I do that and nothing happens!
Not one second of this software install went smoothly and I will not be reccomending this program to anyone without a degree in rocket science. Why couldn't all these configurations be done for us by the program? If I wanted to spend 5 hours experimenting with software configurations, and deciphering half-azz instructions I would have got another PC!!!!
Right now the only thing that works as advertised is that I (finally-after countless install issues) got Windows XP on my Mac. Whether or not I have Parallels Tools will be a mystery. I just want to drag and drop between OS's, is that too much to ask? If I could do that I would be happy.
Last edited: