Help! no networking after Parallels 5 upgrade

jagalactic

Bit poster
I recently upgraded to Parallels 5. I have a Win XP virtual machine that's been working since Parallels 3, but it no longer has networking. I did not make any changes. It is the only virtual machine I've been actively using of late.

Long ago when I did set it up, I remember selecting "bridged" networking, such that my virtual machines got their IP addresses from the same DHCP server as the Mac host. What happened to the bridged networking option?

Network preferences are the defaults, though I have tweaked with no luck. Virtual machine preferences used the default ethernet nic; I changed this to eth2, since my mac pro is networked on eth2 (eth1 is not connected).

I haven't found documentation to clarify this (the help file is very basic and oriented toward menu panels rather than an explanation of how things actually work)... but It seems to me that I should not enable the Parallels DHCP server, because I want my virtual machine(s) to have an IP address that can be seen by other nodes in the local subnet.

I'm willing (though not happy) to RTFM if anybody can point me to something useful. It's aggravating that my reward for buying an upgrade is a broken system and a waste of time...

Thanks,
JG

PS: my initial post didn't appear (perhaps this is moderated - there was a brief message screen, possibly to that effect, that my eyes failed to focus on.

In any case, I should add system details:

Parallels 5.0.9308
OSX 10.6.2
Mac pro, 2x 2.66 dual-core Xeon
9GB RAM
 
Please click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all" (without quotes). Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

Also, please start the /Application/Utilities/Terminal and execute in it command "ifconfig -a" and also post here the output (or via private message)
 
Back
Top