Persike,
To respond directly to you:
persike said:
Dear Mr. Holbrook,
it is a mystery to me how people set their guidelines about what is appropriate to post in a forum and what is not. If I had posted my inquiry prior to contacting RegNow and/or the Parallels sales team, there would have been a high probabilty that some gentle forum member would have asked why I posted the problem in the forums before taking the measures that Parallels supposes me to take - which is contacting RegNow and/or the Parallels sales team. Thus, in a sense, I did RTFM before posting and now get examined for not consuming the time of forum members first. Seems like a lose-lose situation to me.
I merely agreed with the first reply that you had nothing to lose by asking the question here. As I said in my post above it would have been MUCH MUCH more helpful if you had let us know what the general problem was. I have NO experience with VAT and German Universities. I would have simply steered clear of the post.
As a University educator I would have expected you to believe in the idium that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Ask the question. If no one knows the answer you will not get one. You have lost nothing but the time it took to post it.
persike said:
However, allow me to stress three points:
a) We are not talking about one single license for my private use but about the possibility of our whole department migrating to Mac OS and using Parallels. I am only the first staff member to test the efficacy and usability of the Mac+Windows solution.
Fine... Great. I think the more sales Parallels gets the better off we all will be. But let people know that when you post your question. IE say something like:
Hi, I've tried contacting RegNow and get no response. What I need to know is:
I'm representing a university that may by many copies of parallels if we can get past the following purchase issues. I'm wondering if any of you have met with these issues before or can give me another route to contact either parallels or RegNow.
My issues are:
VAT...
Support...
etc...
If you had simply said something to that point we would all still be great friends. But alas we are now defending our shores.
persike said:
b) That said, as an institutional customer we demand timely support, especially when it comes to spending money on software. We are in no way willing to resort to user forums when problems with the software or its support surface. As an institution we need our questions or problems to be relianty answered by vendor representatives. There is no way I could tell the head of our office that an anonymous user XY guessed a solution instead of presenting him with a decided answer issued and authorized by a Parallels team member.
The fact that Parallels and RegNow are unresponsive even during the buying stage does not increase our confidence in their support quality once we have purchased the software.
I hear you there. There is no doubt that Parallels support is lacking these days but simply but WHAT OTHER OPTION IS THERE if you want to run Mac OS and WinXP?
I hope you can get this resolved but it seems to me like Parallels is a company that is very small and probably will not be able to dedicate a representitive for support as you request.
I work in biomedical device software and we face the same issue. The FDA must have everything documented and controlled. We cannot use "shareware" and other tools they must have gone through validation. But I have found a way around that by proving that code I compile under Parallels passes a 32 bit CRC against code compiled under standard Windows XP. With that I am able to use it for my development process.
persike said:
c) You misunderstood my inquiry. We do not request that VAT is excluded. Instead, exclusion of VAT is a conditio sine qua non since as a german federal institution we are not allowed to pay VAT. The finance office at our university will simply refuse to pay any sum including VAT.
Hence, our current problem is precisely defined. We need an invoice containing a license of Parallels Desktop for Mac without VAT included in the total order sum. I do not think that any forum member can provide us with that. Nor will any forum member be able to give other advice than to contact Parallels and/or RegNow - which is what we did already, multiple times.
The posting was our last measure to gain attention of Parallels staff members in order to proceed with purchasing their product.
Yes I did completely and the reason was that NONE of this information was available in the original post. I also felt your reply to constant was undeserving. His suggests were neither negative nor bad. Simply put: Ask the question. Buy the software. He never did anything to degrade you in any way. Had you been clearer about your VAT requirements and support issues then he probably would not have posted a reply at all.
persike said:
Make no mistake. We really appreciate the work Parallels is doing. They have a marvelous product and are currently the only firm worldwide that can provide a VM solution for Intel-based Macs. This is a great effort and cannot be cherished enough. We are also aware of the fact that as a smal to mid-size enterprise Parallels has its hands full with developing software, supporting users, fixing bugs and so forth. We are sure that they do all they can to keep up with the current demands. However, we would nonetheless expect at least a single reply to multiple inquiries over ten or more days.
In the meantime, I received a mail from RegNow and things seem to develop in the right direction. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer this thread.
Regards.
As do I and I have tried to be positive and add to the Parallels experience. I will take this opportunity to apologize to you here and now if you felt my post was negative. I hope you can see through my explainations why I felt as I did.
I too would love to see Parallels and RegNow responding but alas that is the way internet companies do business these days in a large majority. They simply have no physical presence which creates problems for many of us.
Good luck
Mark