High CPU usage after upgrade to 16 (Win10 VM)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Tom83, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Tom83

Tom83 Bit poster

Hello,

I'm seeing high CPU usage of at least 2 Parallels services (coherence_helper, prl_disp_service 100% CPU (independently, not at the same time)) for no apparent reason.

My setup is Parallels Pro 16 on a MacBook Pro Late 2018 with a Windows 10 Pro Guest (latest version, minus the 2004 feature upgrade), attached to 2 4k displays via USB-C docking station (CalDigit). Never had this problem with Parallels 15.

There also have been some minor display errors, where Parallels wouldn't bring a selected window to the foreground, but those I can live with.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks & cheers
    Tobias

2. BenjaminY2

BenjaminY2 Bit poster

I have the same issue. I had to reinstall 15 as 16 was unusable with my Windows 10 VM.

3. Hello guys, is it possible to reproduce the issue on Parallels Desktop 16 and collect the technical report data right after that?

4. JoelW3

JoelW3 Bit poster

I found the resolution to my high CPU usage when I checked on Windows 10 Task manager - it was a process called 'outlook communications' which was running in the background and causing the whole Macook (I9 with 64 GB ram!!!) to heat up, fans to spin wildly and battery to drain.

I deleted mail on windows in 'uninstall/remove programs' and my CPU usae has dropped from 100 - 500% to 5 - 20% !!! Woohoo!

5. Tom83

Tom83 Bit poster

Hi,

as an update: The problem went away on it's own. It was pretty persistent immediately after my upgrade to version 16 and then just stopped occurring after .. 2 weeks? Maybe even less. I must admit I forgot to post about it earlier, sorry about that. Either the it was purely a coincidence (issue appearing with the switch to v16) or something changed behind the scenes. Performance issues are always annoying to analyze.

Cheers, Tobias

6. Hello,
    Thanks a lot for your update.
    If the issue reoccurs please collect the tech report right after that and post the report's ID here.